Suggestions, post running energy?

Options
So I walk, jog, do hill work, repeat about 3 Times a week for an hour. That same day I’m fine but the next day I’m so depleted of energy that I wonder if I’m missing something. I drink a post exercise protein shake, plenty of water, vitamins ,extra vitamin c to replenish. I may add I’m prediabetic and have pcos. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are not eating enough to support the activity?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Or maybe you don't get enough sleep?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    You could be dehydrated. Or you need more carbs to replenish the glycogen you use running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you low carb for the PCOS?
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you staying on top of your hydration/electrolytes? Are you sleeping well after runs?
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Check your carb levels; unless you're using a low-carb eating style (keto, etc), it's possible you're feeling low energy because your body burned through its carb stores during the run, and hasn't had them replenished appropriately afterwards.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't know the ins and outs of pcos, but I do know a number of people who have been very successful despite having to work around their pcos... so it's definitely doable. That aside, my first thought/question would be calorie intake - are you eating enough?

Also, I don't think vitamins "replenish" you after a run - calories do (and to some extent, electrolytes).

Lastly, just to be clear... when you say you're depleted of energy, what exactly do you mean?
  • gladyshb
    gladyshb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m eating 1730 Cals a day. I’m not specifically on a low carbs diet however I do try to keep the bread intake down (its PCOS worst enemy) I sleep between 6-7hrs, depending on my kids allowing that much lol. Maybe I should replenish with some drink in the mist of it ? Energy gels? I’m depleted to the point I just want to lay down and not get up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gladyshb wrote: »
    I’m eating 1730 Cals a day. I’m not specifically on a low carbs diet however I do try to keep the bread intake down (its PCOS worst enemy) I sleep between 6-7hrs, depending on my kids allowing that much lol. Maybe I should replenish with some drink in the mist of it ? Energy gels? I’m depleted to the point I just want to lay down and not get up.

1730 net or gross? what are your stats?
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Admittedly I'm not educated on PCOS- but would any of the following carb sources work for you? Rice, quinoa, beans, oatmeal, or even just adding a banana (or other fruit) to your protein shake?

Might be worth giving it a shot. I wouldn't recommend energy gels unless you're getting tired during the workout itself and one to take one before/during; they're not generally designed for recovery.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you currently losing weight?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Is this a new exercise routine for you? If so, I'm not too surprised that you're tired the next day after doing an hour of intensive exercise. That's a lot of work--especially for a newbie--and your body needs a rest day afterward. Heck, I've been running for three years, and my usual run is an hour every other day. I struggle to do the same workout on consecutive days. So assuming you're a newbie, I think it just sounds like you're doing a bit too much, too soon.

You should also make sure you're eating back those exercise calories. You'll burn a significant number of calories in an hour long workout. If you're not eating them back, then you may not be giving your body the fuel it needs--hence why you feel tired. You need food to fuel your workout, not just a vitamin.

Also...have your bread if you want your bread. It's not true that it's "PCOS worst enemy." Some people with PCOS manage their symptoms better on a low-carb diet, but if you aren't doing that, then there's nothing special about bread that makes it worse for PCOS than similar carb sources. I have PCOS; I lost a lot of weight; I'm an endurance runner who eats a lot of carbs.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    gladyshb wrote: »
    I’m eating 1730 Cals a day. I’m not specifically on a low carbs diet however I do try to keep the bread intake down (its PCOS worst enemy) I sleep between 6-7hrs, depending on my kids allowing that much lol.

Yeah, try getting more sleep. Exercise increases the need for it. Here's the great Elliott Hulse explaining it: https://youtube.com/watch?v=mH7iCGDKdq0

If you can't get more sleep, i'd do shorter exercises more frequently.

By the way, all food that raises insulin can affect PCOS, not just bread. Limiting all carbs is what many with PCOS do. Lots of prior posts on that, if you want to search for them.

And that post-workout shake and vit. C are probably a waste of money if your diet has enough protein and you take a multivitamin. Vit D3 is a good idea, since PCOS increases the risk of a D deficiency, which is pretty common to begin with. :+1:
  • gladyshb
    gladyshb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will take all in consideration