Super Blue Blood Moon - January 31, 2018

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
edited January 2018 in Chit-Chat
The Jan. 31 full moon is special for three reasons: it’s the third in a series of “supermoons,” when the Moon is closer to Earth in its orbit -- known as perigee -- and about 14 percent brighter than usual. It’s also the second full moon of the month, commonly known as a “blue moon.” The super blue moon will pass through Earth’s shadow to give viewers in the right location a total lunar eclipse. While the Moon is in the Earth’s shadow it will take on a reddish tint, known as a “blood moon.”

In late March 1866, there was a Blue Moon total lunar eclipse for North and South American time zones. But this full moon was not a supermoon. The next blue moon lunar eclipse during a supermoon will not happen again until 2037.

xt1uu418t0y7.png

tqcbhanxx647.png

An Eclipse Never Comes Alone!
A solar eclipse always occurs about two weeks before or after a lunar eclipse.

Usually, there are two eclipses in a row, but other times, there are three during the same eclipse season.

This is the first eclipse this season.

Second eclipse this season: February 15, 2018 — Partial Solar Eclipse

Replies

• doubleap77
    doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My super blue blood moon got eclipsed by cloud cover this morning. Such is life in the Midwest.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I just waited until someone posted a video of it.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    We saw it in Oklahoma, but my 14 year old woke up extra early to take pics and it wasn't as spectacular as the news hyped it up to be. She was so sad, that she went to school upset about it.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Just my luck. No visible eclipse in Southern Africa. Meh
  • cee134
    Options
    We saw it in Oklahoma, but my 14 year old woke up extra early to take pics and it wasn't as spectacular as the news hyped it up to be. She was so sad, that she went to school upset about it.

Yeah, it's going to just look like the moon. But most people missed the lunar eclipse. When the moon is "super" it's hard to see the moon look 14% bigger. However, she witnessed something most people will never see in their lifetime. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as cool as a total solar eclipse or a meteor shower.

fr6npwvmd6za.jpg
  • cee134
    Options

I have never had any luck taking pics of the moon. Do you know how to do it the right way?

I do have a Cannon G9 which is pretty nice but I don't know how to use it tbh.

That's another goal for this year.

Maybe this will help?

Taking Pictures of the Moon
    https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/moonset-moonrise-photography.html