MFP - has given me 1000 calories.

Options
Hi,
I'm 11st (154 lbs) and 5ft 4. I'd like to get back down to 9st 12 say (138lbs) 1000 calories seems low to me...but then I am overweight so have obviously some difficulties around saying NO....
I've seen lots of people eating back calories - ( I wear a fitbit) so have been on both these forums & fitbits. I'd welcome your thoughts and advise on this. I know its a long debated subject, but does it matter if you are only looking to loose about a stone?
Thank you ...

Replies

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm 11st (154 lbs) and 5ft 4. I'd like to get back down to 9st 12 say (138lbs) 1000 calories seems low to me...but then I am overweight so have obviously some difficulties around saying NO....
    I've seen lots of people eating back calories - ( I wear a fitbit) so have been on both these forums & fitbits. I'd welcome your thoughts and advise on this. I know its a long debated subject, but does it matter if you are only looking to loose about a stone?
    Thank you ...

Did you perhaps punch in that you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week? Try putting in .5 instead to get a more realistic goal and calorie count :)
  • maddydonaghy
    maddydonaghy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes i did... (because I do! :)
    is that too much do you think?
  • maddydonaghy
    Options
    Yeah thats weird isn't it.... bu it definately says that. And if you get 1500 do you loose 1/2 or more? Do you eat your calories?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats weird isn't it.... bu it definately says that. And if you get 1500 do you loose 1/2 or more? Do you eat your calories?

I typically lose on track. I just recently adjusted up from 1 lb/week. I was eating 1270 for one lb/week and was losing at that rate on average, but it wasn't enough food for me to be healthy (mentally and physically). I definitely eat my calories! :lol:
  • maddydonaghy
    Options
    ha ha sorry i meant your exercise calories....oh god sorry!!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    With just over a stone to lose 0.5 to 1lb per week is ideal loss to aim for. There's something up with the 1000 cals, 1200 is the minimum.
    Log your food intake accurately, if you exercise eat back some of those calories too.
    e.g I'm a bit shorter but I also started off at 154lbs way back. I ate 1400 + exercise cals and lost 0.5lb a week on around 1650 cals gross.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher Aww, you know all it takes is a good steak to make me happy again :tongue:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    well the body is not a calorie counter ....when I used to do calories was miserable it lowered thyroid my metabolic rate. Oh u lose weight at first but then you slingshot back fatter then you were before..what ya gotta do is keep increasing calories slightly higher and higher till you get back on track...TRACK EVERYTHING I MEAN EVERYTHING AND START REMOVING THE CULPRITS WHICH SLOW YOUR METABOLISM DOWN. if I follow mfp calorie recommendation that would have me in starvation at about 1800 calories a freaking day!!!!!IM at 3300 to 3400 and losing...not kidding. im 6 foot 2 athletic male lift weights so PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN GOING LOW CALORIES TO LOSE WEIGHT.
    CHRIS ROCCO

You are very active to still be able to lose eating 3300+ cals.
    But most people need to eat much less than that too lose.