struggling today

Options
I am struggling today. I can't seem to find the motivation yet am super depressed about my weight. How do I reconcile those feelings? I do so well then use life getting in the way as an excuse. I know what I need to do but can't seem to find the strength in myself to do so.....

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,987 Member
    Options
    A lot of people use food as a coping tool. When I forced myself to cut back on food, all my "issues" became front and center. In recovery circles they call those, "character defects" - those things that we let take over us in a negative way...resentments, anger, selfishness, fear (ego).

So when I had problems come up, I had to find other ways of dealing with them other than putting some substance in my mouth.

I'm gonna go ahead and blame my mother, God rest her soul. :lol: When I was a teensy tot and had a temper tantrum she gave me food or a bottle. I guess sometimes it really is hunger. Sometimes it's just uncomfortable emotions.

Work through it. It's worth it in the end to get to a healthy weight AND to have coping strategies for life that don't include eating as a soothing tool.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Consider this, you don’t give any details, but what if you don’t know what you need to do? Take a few minutes and examine your assumptions. There may be a better way.

• Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I’m having a rough day too. Seems you’ve been at this for a while so I don’t know what I can say except to reiterate what I’m telling myself after reading this posted by other peps on MFP: “distract yourself” “drink water” “just do it” “It’s a marathon, not a sprint” “motivation is what happens after you do the work” “try eating at maintenance for the day”... if you have any more I’d love be to hear em!
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ^^
    My favorite has always been I didn’t come this far..just to come this far.