I need to lose last 10lbs

Options
Hi All,

34, 5"9, 10 stone 10lbs. Lost most of my baby weight. Train 4 to 5 times a week - mixture of cardio and weights. Anyway want help and advice on how to shift this last bit quickly and easily as I've hit a plateau. Ideally want to be 10 stone by March. Diet advice welcome aswell as training suggestions

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The advice above is great. I also want to make sure you know that you decide which pounds are the last. You're already at a healthy weight. How much difference will 10 pounds make? Is the extra effort worth it? Pregnancy and birth does things to your body that you can't totally control. Being a parent means that you will have to review your priorities. And remember that a lower weight needs less food and/or more activity to maintain.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Better off losing the last 10lbs slowly and preparing yourself for long term maintenance IMHO - there is going to be a month of March every year for the rest of your life.
    BTW - worth you having a scan through some of the threads in the Maintaining Weight forum so you can see some of the snags and issues people encounter when they make the transition from a dieting to a maintaining mindset. That transition can (maybe should...) start before you hit your goal weight.

As you get leaner it's generally better to lose slower. (FYI for our non-British readers OP is currently 150lbs)
    Your BMI is not much above the mid point of the BMI range at the moment, quick weight loss probably isn't a good idea for you.

Your food diary is private - if your plateau is long term (is it?) then the reason is probably to be found there.

"A mixture of cardio and weights" sounds good, really good but could also be mediocre or ineffective training - only you know what you are actually doing.
    I see a lot of people who go to the gym but there's far fewer who actually train at the gym if you get the distinction.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Shock your body in a healthy way. If you don’t do HIIT at the gym I highly recommend it! Something like that!

HIIT is not a magical exercise that is going to suddenly make your body realize it needs to lose fat/weight. There is no "healthy shocking your body" - to put it bluntly. It's going to be a calorie deficit and patience.

And that's if the scale # ends up being what really matters to the OP - like with what 88olds said in his realization of figuring out what he really wanted his goal to be.
  • geordiegirl1892
    geordiegirl1892 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Stick at it and it WILL come off :)
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your wonderful replies. I have found this final shed really tough. Lost abour 1 and a half stones in a year. It's literally these last 10lbs that I've been battling with since October. I realise my birthday, Christmas and New Year hindered my progress, and am hoping that I will redeem myself now I have no excuses. I know my downfalls: I'm a sucker for a weekend takeaway and a boozy Saturday night. I need to make smart choices. I had a food scale but it died on me. Ordering one now! I do body pump, boxfit, strength and conditioning, spinning, and my own weight training/circuits. Maybe it might be wise to get the tape measure out instead of agonising over scale numbers. Anyway, plenty of food for thought. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Have about 10 lbs to lose and it's really slow going. But I am just sticking to what I'm doing, am aiming to get to my goal weight by the beginning of August, but if I haven't quite hit it by then, that's okay too. I'd rather take my time than try drastic measures.
  • SuzJok85
    SuzJok85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. My BMI is on the highest end of the healthy range though. I'm also 150 lbs, but im 5'6. I got my composition measured at 29/30% fat. I think a realistic goal is a to get fit again and be back to about 142, which is where I was when I was training for a marathon.

In the past, I mainly focused on exercising to lose weight, cause calorie counting sometimes makes me a bit mental, but since I was doing quite a bit of stress eating in the last few months of 2017, and since I will be doing shorter treadmill runs while the roads are still icy here in MN, I thought I'd try tracking my eating too. I want to get used to sensible eating again and reset my ability to detect my hunger and fullness messages.

I have my calories set to have me lose .5 a week, cause 1lb a week made me very hungry and unhappy. So far, I think I'm making slow, but steady progress. I've lost a pound or so in the past 3 weeks, but I can see my muscles becoming more defined because of strength training. It good to hear from people here that a more gradual plan is more realistic. I was beginning to wonder if I had any willpower at all when I was set to 1480/day. It's much easier at 1740 (Still much less than I was eating this fall!)