Dog agility

Options
Anyone do dog agility? Trying to guesstimate calories burned during a one hour private training session each week...

Replies

• speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of agility. You probably arent doing enough running around for it to count for much. Its quite explosive but I assume you are doing a lot of technical stuff (contacts, etc?) And standing around a lot? Personally I wouldnt bother eatinf back calories if you are on a 250-500 deficit because you risk overestimating and cancelling a large part of it out. Running constantly for 30 mins (for me as a 5'6 femake @ 160lbs) burns about 300kcals. So a combo od MAYBE 10 mins running might be 100?
  • piggymumma
    piggymumma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks both. Disappointing.. I feel like I'm working harder than that!
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Its good for you and the dog (or can be anyway), its just probably not burning that much. But its bettee than sitting at home! :)

If you want to get active with the dog and get some exercise calories to enjoy, have you tried looking for a local canicross club?
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a fit bit ?
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also didn't log it and I run 3 dogs! The few extra calories you lose from it are a nice bonus but every session will be different ratios of moving standing still and adjusting equipment so impossible to get right I'm afraid
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Do you wear a fit bit ?

A fitbit is useless for anything other than counting steps. One with a HR sensor will be useless for something like this as there's no correlation between heartrate and calorie burn
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless youre the dog, its not exercise lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    depends on your stats really, but i'd add 100 cals and call it good.
  • piggymumma
    piggymumma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll just forget about anything burned during agility then. Speedingticket thanks for canicross suggestion, but he's only a little Chihuahua :) I train with him at least three times a week, and do rally with my another boy and my third dog is a pat dog. Not sure if I can afford (£/time) another dog hobby! On top of my three part time jobs and other Hobby's, my other half rarely sees me haha! ....

Saying all that... Out of interest... Can tiny dogs do canicross? I've seen jack russells, but their a bit more sturdy than my Chihuahua
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If this is something you are doing daily I would consider it accounted for in your activity level and not log it as exercise.