People that have or use resistance bands

Options
I was wondering if anyone has ever had good success with using resistance bands whether it's bodylastics or another brand with accomplishing their goals? I'm asking out of curiosity and if you did have good success with them can you share what sort of routine you did and how it helped?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Replies

• PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What sort of success are you looking for exactly? I use them as part of my strength training routine and they work fine in helping to build strength, if that's what you are curious about.
  • joshbowman12
    joshbowman12 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »
    What sort of success are you looking for exactly? I use them as part of my strength training routine and they work fine in helping to build strength, if that's what you are curious about.

Just seeing if anyone uses them and can tell a difference with them in physique and/or strength. More often than not people say they don't work for anything other than rehab, so I was hoping people would chime in and say they've used them with good success.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »

Just seeing if anyone uses them and can tell a difference with them in physique and/or strength. More often than not people say they don't work for anything other than rehab, so I was hoping people would chime in and say they've used them with good success.

Well, it can help you when starting out to increase strength. Are you looking to improve your physique for a goal such as bodybuilding? Or just trying to decrease your body fat %?

For decreasing body fat % - that's going to rely more on a calorie deficit. But strength training in general will help lessen the amount of muscle that gets lost in the process of weight loss - so still definitely something to keep as part of your exercise routine.

Although bands are a good addition to a strength workout - I would still suggest including, at the least, bodyweight exercises. If able, definitely add in dumbbells or/and barbells as well.

There are a lot of great beginnner strength routines (most free) if interested. And most programs (even if they say barbell) can be adapted to be done with dumbbells or even bodyweight variations if you don't have access to free weights.

Here's a link that has been a great resource for those in MFP who are looking for routines.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • joshbowman12
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Not necessarily looking into bodybuilding per say, just becoming more fit and adding some lean body mass. Again, all I wanted to know was if people had used resistance bands with good results. Reassurance was all I was looking for. I was hoping several members would weigh in on the topic of if they use them regularly and thought they were at least worth the money they paid for them.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I've only been using mine for a couple of weeks so can't comment on transformation, but have added them into my Strong Curves exercises to make them more challenging. As I'm working out from home with minimal equipment I'm a bit limited as to variety of exercises. I've found the mini-bands useful in increasing the resistance when doing side lying clam and side raises. I started with pink (light resistance) and have done a week with the medium ones (green). They've allowed me to up my effort without changing the exercise.

I've also bought a large band for assisted pull-ups, but am nowhere near being able to use that one yet!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands often... but more for accessory work in addition to weights. On their own you can make progress but there may come a point where it can get more difficult to progress unless you have very strategic programming, especially if you are looking to add muscle.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands as part of my glute/legs warm up. I use it above my knees for squats, squat pulses, glute bridges, and clams. I also place the band around my ankles for another set of exercises I do in my warm up. My gym has a few different sizes of bands, and I also found a set at Five Below for just a few bucks if you are looking to buy a set.
  • joshbowman12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone. Sometime last year I had purchased bodylastics bands that are supposed to be able to be combined to equal 300lbs I believe. I just never used them much aside from occasional warm-ups when I did work out at home.

I've been wanting to do something that was a little easier on the joints while I'm easing back into my resistance training and it sounds like these could be a good thing to start out with.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I use them to burn out a muscle after a regular set, usually the final one, of weight training. For example I finish 3 sets of bicep curls then pick up the bands and rep out till failure. I used them to intensify planks tonight. It worked!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I use them for warmups. And when I travel, I generally take the train. The bands (and tubes) are light enough to take with me. Dumbbells, even if I could carry them in my suitcase, would be a problem. (In Canada, if you're traveling with the cheapest coach fares, there's a 40lb limit on checked baggage.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!