Whole food plant based - need more calories for dinner - any pointers?

Options
To my WFPB folks - looks like I'm not eating enough. Part of the reason I'm back here. Can anyone make suggestions to add for dinner tonight. I need to make sure I'm getting enough because I am trying to loose weight and my hubby is trying to gain weight. If we could just do the Freaky Friday thing and switch might work - Lol. Seriously though any tips from Whole food plant based folks will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    At this point it's most likely going to be all about your calorie dense foods... avocado, nuts, oils, etc.

You'll most likely want to add higher fat items since that will most quickly fill your deficit.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    How about baked beans?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're not getting enough? You're trying to lose weight, but you don't provide any idea of what you're eating and whether it's actually a calorie deficit. It's hard to make suggestions without knowing what your basic diet looks like.

There are lots of calorie dense whole foods that are plant based. As @BecomingBane suggested the higher fat ones, but also legumes, seeds and grains (beans, quinoa, brown rice, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds). Higher caloric veggies like potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, corn. Higher caloric fruits like bananas, cherries, mangos.

Just eating a plant based diet does not guarantee weight loss, it's all about the caloric deficit. I've know plenty of overweight vegetarians. ;)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Pasta Is going to be 10/10 for both of you. Just weigh it out before you cook it, triple it up, eat 1/3, give your hubby 2/3.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    How do you know you're not getting enough? You're trying to lose weight, but you don't provide any idea of what you're eating and whether it's actually a calorie deficit. It's hard to make suggestions without knowing what your basic diet looks like.

There are lots of calorie dense whole foods that are plant based. As @BecomingBane suggested the higher fat ones, but also legumes, seeds and grains (beans, quinoa, brown rice, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds). Higher caloric veggies like potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, corn. Higher caloric fruits like bananas, cherries, mangos.

Just eating a plant based diet does not guarantee weight loss, it's all about the caloric deficit. I've know plenty of overweight vegetarians. ;)

All of this. You don't gain weight from not eating enough. You gain from eating more calories than you burn.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    By not eating enough I meant that according to the calorie count on MFP I was still going to have a lot left over. Like 490. I thought my food log is open.

Thank you for the encouraging suggestions. Appreciate the helpful tips.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    "Check out YouTube blogger High CArb Hannah... She really has an amazing channel for whole food diet and has lost over 70 lbs. I watch her for great meal tips."

Kelly I did check her out. I've seen a couple of her videos before. I'd forgot about her channel. Thanks for the reminder. Guess what I'm doing tonight - watching endless High Carb Hannah videos....LOL