Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @salleewins - I'm with you on this: "I can't keep bags of chocolate in the house or alcohol...." I think I'm replacing alcohol with chocolate, so that's something I'm going to need to work on, LOL. Love the french vanilla tea and other drink recommendations, so thank you. Some of the teas I've been trying are a bit too sour for me, like the Tazo Wild Sweet Orange. Keep looking for cinnamon-y and citrus-y, without a lot of bitterness.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @salleewins - I'm with you on this: "I can't keep bags of chocolate in the house or alcohol...." I think I'm replacing alcohol with chocolate, so that's something I'm going to need to work on, LOL. Love the french vanilla tea and other drink recommendations, so thank you. Some of the teas I've been trying are a bit too sour for me, like the Tazo Wild Sweet Orange. Keep looking for cinnamon-y and citrus-y, without a lot of bitterness.

Right there with you. I actually gained 3 pounds in January. To be fair, I did not put too much energy into hitting my calorie goal most days.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

I have a bit of chocolate with unsalted nuts every night after dinner. For some reason, I can keep it to a reasonable portion. If I couldn't-- out it would go!

My favorite juice is Pom wonderful pure pomegranate. Deep red like red wine and almost cost as much. I splash a couple of ounces in seltzer and also add lime juice. (And, I make the seltzer using a SodaStream so I'm not constantly having to run out and buy bottles.)

As for Tea: I like the Pukka "Detox" a lot. You can get it on amazon, but it's actually cheaper at my grocery store (and sometimes goes on sale). It tastes a bit of fennel.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have cut way down and am happy about it :-)
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am going to be cutting down but not out completely. I am getting married in a few months and want to do all that I can to get in better shape. We have slipped into a routine of drinking too much wine after work and its getting in the way of exercising more or sleeping better. I want to cut back to no alcohol during the week and less alcohol on the weekends. I already volunteered to be DD for a super bowl party we are attending to help me avoid temptation.

We have planned a very short engagement so I know I am going to be getting lots of curious looks for not drinking. I am sure everyone will be convinced I am pregnant. Sorry family! lol.
  • truando
    truando Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    count me in! One exception: February 13 is my birthday. I'll drink as much as I want then. The other 27 days are AF.
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Dang, February thread is already poppin'! Nice job and welcome to everyone. I am so looking forward to this continued motivation.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I have found I am craving sweets, but I understand that is normal at first since wine has so much sugar, you end up craving it.
    I did not know that, and that explains a lot. I AM craving sweets for sure. Getting by with Hershey's dark chocolate kisses and Trader Joe's mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups. I'm trying hard to limit quantities, but I have both every day. Guess we know where those alcohol calories are going . . .
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh not I'm having the same sweet issue! Now it makes a little more sense. I don't normally even eat sweets except on very rare occasions. Yikes!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    @kittybenn, I love that Tazo wild sweet orange, lol. I like the Passion one, too. I am eyeing a cinnamon one now by them. It might be sweet cinnamon.

I can't find that Puka Detox in the stores here. Bummer. I will check Amazon.

I have not tried the Pomegranate with seltzer and lime wedge. I wonder if I could sub cranberry instead with the lime...Not sure..

Well today I am dreaming of a diet half and half (grapefruit and lemon soda) by Polar. Used to add liquor to it. So now, maybe I can use water, fresh lemon juice, stevia powder and a splash of grapefruit juice and add the Polar seltzer. Adding water to the seltzer makes it a bit more smooth and less bubbly. I am going to try it and see how it goes with a marashino cherry on top!

Everytime I want to go to the liquor store or go get beer, I check out the store aisles and get something new or proceed with my plan and items that I already have on hand to go. I find that now, with this new approach that I am staying within calorie range almost every single day and losing weight.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    bdbchick wrote: »
    Will be joining in this challenge for Dry February. I’m trying to think of another way to say dry February though. Any suggestions?

One member in January referred to it as freedom, how about Freedom February?

I LOVE it!!! Freedom February it is!!!!
    P.s. That's my word of the year for 2018. Every year I choose a new word to live by. And so FREEDOM is perfect !

Julie, I love that you do a resolution word also! I do one every year too. My word for 2018 is adventure!

I look forward to hearing from you guys and sharing with you as well!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Count me in on the sweets issue. I never thought that it is linked to alcohol being sugary. And my body is craving it.
    I even found myself dipping a spoon into peanut butter and decorating that with chocolate chips to get the sugar fix.
    I will have to make my Freedom February into less alcohol AND less sugar.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    For anyone starting new in February or even the January friends on the thread. Not a bad idea to take a picture on Feb. 1 of yourself. And then fast forward 28 days , take another to see if you can notice any changes in your skin or face. It was evident with the two totally different selfies on @crazykatlady 's post a few days ago. Now, she is glowing and so bright eyed!
    @donimfp That's a beautiful story. I'm sure you look vibrant!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Me, too for sweets. As I understand it, it's not so much that alcohol "contains" sugar but that the body processes sugar and alcohol exactly the same way, so as far as our body is concerned, it can't really tell the difference. I have never been a sweets person. My cravings have always been for salty/crunchy nachos, pizza, Cheetos (OMG, Cheetos and red wine . . .), but like y'all, I want something sweet every day now. I've been having either 3 Triscuits with peanut butter plus a small glass of milk or 1 oatmeal cookie plus a small glass of milk. For some reason, the milk is comforting and makes those small doses of sugar enough for me. Our bodies are pretty amazing.
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I have found I am craving sweets, but I understand that is normal at first since wine has so much sugar, you end up craving it.
    I did not know that, and that explains a lot. I AM craving sweets for sure. Getting by with Hershey's dark chocolate kisses and Trader Joe's mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups. I'm trying hard to limit quantities, but I have both every day. Guess we know where those alcohol calories are going . . .

@kittybenn OMG I have been having 2 dark chocolate squares a night, my little reward, but I almost had a third so I cannot let chocolate replace alcohol calories, but in the long run it won't hurt our body but may stall weight loss. Which is more important, I think you and i know, no alcohol. Keep up the good work.