More Days / Less Time vs Less Days / More Time

Options
Does it really matter? They say New Year, New Me but 2018 has finally allowed me to shed the mental slime that's been on me since years past.

Replies

• purpleannex
    purpleannex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    More days, more time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure of the context of the question...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As long as you're leaving appropriate time/interval for rest between sessions. ie Not doing high intensity sprints 3 days in a row, How many days a week/hours per session should be driven by your goals and your schedule.

With less daylight, I'm doing a bit less lately, but in spring-fall I normally Run every other day, walk the other days, and do some sort of strength program 2-3 days a week on my "walk days" I'm getting closer to the point where my "easy days" will also likely include running. Because of the nature of my strength program, it can also be run every day without hampering progression because it's a gentle smooth curve... I have run it every day in the past, for over a year with no problems.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals?

More is not always better.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ah...fitness. This just depends. More is not always better and one should incorporate appropriate rest and recovery times as part of their overall fitness regimen.

For me, it is variable depending on the time of year. Right now it's winter and it's cold and it's dark so it's pretty much 3x per week lifting in the gym, a couple of days per week on my indoor bike trainer to do some intervals for 30-40 minutes and a good road ride at some point on the weekend when I get a nice afternoon.

I start ramping up my cycling in the Spring when the weather starts to turn nicer and I gear up for the season. When I'm specifically training for an event, I will really ramp up my mileage over about an 8-10 week period depending on my base at that time and then bring the volume back down when said event has passed. During the cycling season I typically only lift 1-2x per week depending on my riding volume.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Allan Misner

If people don't say otherwise, their goals here are usually to lose weight, gain muscle, get rich, and find a FWB.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Allan Misner

If people don't say otherwise, their goals here are usually to lose weight, gain muscle, get rich, and find a FWB.

Or sugardaddy, haha!
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I’m interested to know this as well I am currently making it to the gym 5 days a week mon and Thur I do upper body exercise tue and fri lower wed is considered cardio but I can really only do 30 mins at a time so far. My workouts are generally 15mins in recumbent bike and then do the strength exercises. Would 3 linger workout be the same or better as long as I allow the muscle groups proper rest?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? They say New Year, New Me but 2018 has finally allowed me to shed the mental slime that's been on me since years past.

if you mean for exercise then that depends on your goals?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    So I've done both depending on my schedule.

When I had less time (but could go more frequently), I would break my lifting into 1 day of compound lift (squats Monday) and 1 day accessory work (squat accessories on Wednesday).

The trouble I ran into this way was less recovery time.