Article that defies MFP.

Options
Comment of this article.

"Why you shouldn't rely on counting calories to lose weight."

http://www.businessinsider.com/calorie-counting-not-best-way-to-lose-weight-2018-1

Replies

• ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So, I have been counting calories (with a couple breaks) for the past year. I have lost 45 pounds while eating a mixture of whole foods, fast food, convenience food, and just plain sinful food. It is a diet I can sustain indefinitely which makes me feel far more confident about maintaining the loss.

I will admit that the variables do make sense. I can meticulously log my diet and exercise and lose more weight than recommended. I usually take it as a sign to up my calories. I have Crohn's disease and during a flare up I have absorption issues. If you aren't absorbing, you aren't really taking in the calories. Sometimes even the wrong food combination will do it.

But the article provides no details, no data, and is fairly pointless. Of course many bodies have different dietary needs. That is the beauty of CICO. You can adjust it around your personal needs. There aren't a lot of diets that are so personal.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This isn't an article, it's an opinion piece. There are no references to relevant literature and no mention of methodology to ensure validity and reliability.

The scientist actually doesn't say that it isn't CICO, and what he says has some truth the more we learn about gut bacteria the more we find that we have adjustments on the CI side. Unfortunately, the extreme example is frankly BS. The researcher involved has never seen a person gain on 2000 and lose on 2500, although in theory it is possible if the person at a diet that was 95% net absorption vice a diet of 70% net absorption they would actually have a CI of 200 higher on the lower intake. Of course, they would also have to have a TDEE of around 1800. I wouldn't be surprised to find the usual rat studies to try to back this idea up but humans aren't lab rats.

This doesn't happen in real life since most people who count calories aren't just eating white floor and sugar, which you would pretty much need to do to get that high of an absorption. So yes, the article was crap but the theory is interesting and it just goes to show what we have been saying forever here, CICO is the only thing that matters but there are a lot of things that influence both parts of the equation. In practise, all diet compositions have very similar results when we look at the CI and CO numbers.
  • aniracace
    aniracace Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why some people are so against calorie counting. I mean unless someone has an eating disorder or is predisposed to developing an eating disorder, it doesn't really seem like such a big deal. I feel like people paint calories counting as some obsessive ritual conducted on the daily. Now it certainly can become obsessive, but for most people it's a solid method of tracking weight loss. Accuracy in logging is another matter, but for the most part it's a solid method for tracking weight loss.

So why are some people so adamantly against it?
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this is some sort of 'teaser' piece for a future article that will revolutionize the way we think about metabolism and weight management. Otherwise it's a complete waste of everyone's time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Hopefully this is some sort of 'teaser' piece for a future article that will revolutionize the way we think about metabolism and weight management. Otherwise it's a complete waste of everyone's time.

TBH, I don't think this research will be of much use for obesity treatment, I think the ideas of understanding gut flora will have bigger implications for other areas since some bacteria are known to interact with certain gene expressions and can cause issues. I'm much more interested in the idea of promoting general health through this research rather than worrying about something that is already treatable through much simpler means for most.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why some people are so against calorie counting. I mean unless someone has an eating disorder or is predisposed to developing an eating disorder, it doesn't really seem like such a big deal. I feel like people paint calories counting as some obsessive ritual conducted on the daily. Now it certainly can become obsessive, but for most people it's a solid method of tracking weight loss. Accuracy in logging is another matter, but for the most part it's a solid method for tracking weight loss.

Because it requires work and they have to face the facts of how much food they actual eat. It's easier to blame "carbs" or "slow metabolism" for being fat than eating too much.

Also, because it's science.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Usually for one of two reasons:

1) The article (and its provocative headline) will bring clicks to the website and earn them more money from advertisements.

2) Telling people that there's an "easier way" will help them sell lots of books, diet plans and "supplements".
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Usually for one of two reasons:

1) The article (and its provocative headline) will bring clicks to the website and earn them more money from advertisements.

2) Telling people that there's an "easier way" will help them sell lots of books, diet plans and "supplements".

Exactly, and for this article in specific, the big problem here is that there is no "easier way" given. It's all theoretical about a subject that's really just starting to be investigated. Even if this idea of gut flora was more developed you would still have to count calories and also carefully monitor what you are eating to boot since you would want to promote the microbes that are more inefficient at processing foods and avoid promoting growth of those that are more efficient at it. Really, that sounds like a lot more work to me!