Prozac slowing weight loss?

Options
Is anyone here on prozac and still successful in losing weight. I've gained about 40 pounds since starting this med 3 years ago. Wondered if the med is making it harder for me to lose.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yes I have lost weight. The medication can cause increased appetite which leads to weight gain. Stick to a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've taken a few medications including prozac over the period where I gained 90lbs. I had to keep changing the medications because they do increase appetite and this was back when I didn't understand how calories/KJs/energy worked. I guess my GP didn't really know either.

I ended up finding a GP that said I won't gain and instead I will start losing if I just keep track of what I'm eating. He even suggested MFP =). I guess the trick now is to count, weigh all your food/drinks and record accurately. Also be careful with over estimating burns from exercise. I was guessing that I was burning 600 calories extra per day and I wasn't which lead to me stalling for a long time.

Also take this slowly. A 0.5 - 1lbs loss per week is great and that's a good place to aim for. You will have weeks where you gain due to our bodies fluctuating, but don't let that get you down. Take measurements and focus on the end of the month results.

All the best. If you find you're gaining even while measuring everything accurately over the next month, I'd go see that GP again and talk about doing some blood tests.
  • csecj137
    csecj137 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!
  • namasara
    namasara Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight with Prozac, because it helps me from binge eating. When my mind is right, I can put energy into my diet, fitness, and overall health. I've tried to stop taking Prozac to see if it would help with weight loss, but it made it worse. This is just my experience and I'm wishing you all the best!!!
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My hubby is on prozac and while it did increase his appetite for the first month or two when he first started, he's fine with it now. He has lost a very substantial amount of weight over the past couple of years on prozac.