[b]WEIGHT LOSS SUPPLEMENTS. YAY OR NAY FOR YOU[/b]

Options
2»

Replies

• PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    pstimie79 wrote: »
    i see mostly everyone just dont believe or like weight loss aids, i guess we are entitled to our own opinion on this subject, is great to read about everyones opinion and insight

Well, science does tend to trump belief - which is what a lot of people who rely on supposed weight loss aides tend to go with. The belief that there is a miracle pill or powder that will allow us to take the easy road to our goals.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you think about supplements that are known to work, aside from a few non-responders it's generally well-known that those supplements work (e.g. Caffeine, Creatine, etc.). Next, obesity is a major probably in the US so if there was a bullet-proof supplement that worked it would become very well known, peer-review not-withstanding.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Yes, we have different opinions - because the science supports them...

Caffeine might give you a boost that would enable you to work out longer or harder, but that would be the only benefit (and you can buy caffeine pills for dirt cheap at places like wally world).

Garcinia cambogia has no proven weight loss effects in humans:
    https://examine.com/supplements/garcinia-cambogia/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    i see mostly everyone just dont believe or like weight loss aids, i guess we are entitled to our own opinion on this subject, is great to read about everyones opinion and insight

As the saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Weight loss supplements are useless scams. The only place they'll help you lose weight is in your wallet. The diet industry knows this and they're still making multi-billions of dollars per year from gullible people looking for a magic pill/potion that doesn't exist.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

As the saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Weight loss supplements are useless scams. The only place they'll help you lose weight is in your wallet. The diet industry knows this and they're still making multi-billions of dollars per year from gullible people looking for a magic pill/potion that doesn't exist.

The supplement is disgusting to me. As much as I don't like the government over-regulating; this industry needs some better regulations in a major way. Some of the stuff flat-out doesn't work and they pray on people's emotions and clever marketing ads for products that don't work and / or carry some bad side-effects if used improperly.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

The supplement is disgusting to me. As much as I don't like the government over-regulating; this industry needs some better regulations in a major way. Some of the stuff flat-out doesn't work and they pray on people's emotions and clever marketing ads for products that don't work and / or carry some bad side-effects if used improperly.

Even when used properly, some people still; had to get liver transplants!
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I really hope these woos are just someone who mistook the woo button as a "yay" thing. Because otherwise I have no idea. Pretty much most of the replies are the exact opposite of "woo".
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    weight loss supplements = a lighter wallet & expensive urine.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    5Htp seems to be helping me. I started taking it for sleep, and noticed in a few days that I am MUCH better at not overeating when I am taking it vs when I forget it or run put for a couple days. It's not a fat burner or anything, I just seem to have a little less appetite without feeling nauseous, and am better at stopping eating before I am stuffed. Actually It was only after I started taking it that I found out it was a common weight loss supplement as well as a sleep aid lol.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Stimulants work for 30-90 days before tolerance or addiction ensues.

The really effective ones are illegal, dangerous, and/or prescription only.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options
    W8WarI wrote: »

I remember reading a piece of research on Tribulus a few years back when it was marketed for it's Testosterone boosting properties. The research concluded it didn't do anything significant to boost Test, but some of the negative side-effects that are associated with synthetic Test were also present with Tribulus.

I really dislike the industry in-general.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    W8WarI wrote: »

I remember reading a piece of research on Tribulus a few years back when it was marketed for it's Testosterone boosting properties. The research concluded it didn't do anything significant to boost Test, but some of the negative side-effects that are associated with synthetic Test were also present with Tribulus.

I really dislike the industry in-general.

I was only aware of this occurrence pertaining solely to weight management products prior, since weight riddance's within my realm; due to my own weight issues!
  • VitosWorld
    VitosWorld Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was at in an ad for one of these products in 2001. The product I took had the stimulant ephedra as an active ingredient. I lost a lot of weight because of how I worked out and how I ate. Maybe the product helped a tiny bit and maybe it didn't. I can't say for sure 17 years later. Ephedra has since been taken out of these supplements following the death of major league baseball player Steve Bechler in 2003. I am currently fairly lean at a reasonable weight and feeling really good taking nothing but my blood pressure and cholesterol medications.