Is life much harder with excess skin? what about exercise?

Options
Should I be doing much to prevent it now that I am at the beginning at my weightloss oil, such as weight training, personal training,slow weightloss, scrubs and bio oil, or should I just not worry about it?

Did personal training for 2-3 years but hated it. Too lazy to use bio oil daily. Can't afford skin removal surgery/tummy tuck. Too impatient for slow weightloss...

I don't know. What are my best options?

And is excess skin a big problem when you work out? does it flap around when you run?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Have you a lot of weight to lose? alot of the time genetics is a factor, but losing weight slower and working out whilst losing can really help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Should I be doing much to prevent it now that I am at the beginning at my weightloss oil, such as weight training, personal training,slow weightloss, scrubs and bio oil, or should I just not worry about it?

Did personal training for 2-3 years but hated it. Too lazy to use bio oil daily. Can't afford skin removal surgery/tummy tuck. Too impatient for slow weightloss...

you kind of answered your own questions... :huh:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    How much do you have to lose? It's one thing to lose 20 pounds, 100 pounds is another matter.

135lbs eek.

OK, my advice really still holds. You will want to take a gradual approach, rather than a drastic one. Your body will adjust more easily, reducing the chances of being left with a lot of loose skin.

I've met people who have dealt with excess skin. It's still easier for them to move around and live than it was when lugging around the equivalent of another person. They feel better. They look better. Even if they still can't really rock a bikini or banana hammock.

Loose skin is really better than being really unhealthily obese. And there's no guarantee you WILL have this problem; a lot of factors go into this.

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120lbs. During my journey I have worked out religiously with both cardio and weight training. Excess skin is just something I'll have to do with....but I do think working out helped TREMENDOUSLY with my skin.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Whether or not you will have loose skin is largely genetic and age-related. Oil and lotion are not going to do anything to make you have less loose skin; they might do something to change the feel/appearance of the skin you have. Unless you just enjoy using lotions, I'd skip it.

It's also a myth that rapid weight loss leads to more loose skin. For those purposes, it really doesn't matter how fast or slow you lost the weight, though there are other compelling arguments for a slow pace of weight loss.

The most effective thing folks have found to reduce the appearance of loose skin is strength training. Building muscle generally makes people happier with their appearance if they felt that they had a lot of loose skin. It's certainly not a bad idea to do some strength training while losing weight.

I lost 100 pounds in my early 30s. I have some loose skin, but not a whole lot. I'm far happier with a little loose skin than with a lot of excess fat.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Look up autophagy and fasting

Disclaimer :I just started therefore have no personal experience / results with it yet but I’m hoping it works . I’m doing 24 hour fast (dinner to dinner) and working my up to alternate day fasting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/5h6vqx/massive_weight_loss_and_skin/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is a HUGE problem for me, not just cosmetically, and I workout 5/6 days a week and I mean I train hard! I’ve been to see a surgeon and they can remove almost all of it and he said it will roughly be about another 25 pound loss. I’m really hoping to be able to do this because I’ve been working out for almost a year and have been on my journey for 15 months. Don’t fall victim to these wraps and etc. maybe one day I will be able to post before and after pictures but there’s really nothing you can do for the skin when you’ve lost as much as I have.
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Also I wear a lot of compression when I workout and it keeps my stuff in place!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I lost 105+ pounds from my all time high weight and had the belly flap which was never going to improve on its own. I had a tummy tuck in December and it's much better but even without that surgery I felt so much better thinner than I did with the fat. No matter what you do I think it's genetics. Some people have better luck getting everything to snap back than others. I had also had 2 - 9+ pound babies which didn't help. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Trust me thin feels better than fat loose skin or not.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!