Moments of Iron Will Power

I don't, at the moment, have people in my life I want to share these things with...but I would just like to say: I am so proud that I carried trays and trays of baked goods around my office (dozens upon dozens of every breakfast pastry imaginable) on multiple occasions over the past two weeks and did not sneak a taste. Nobody would have known or missed that coffee cake slice, but I would have.

When we took a new colleague out to lunch and went to a Mexican restaurant I did not know in advance or pick, I got the taco salad, picked what I could low-carbwise out of it and let the rest go. Nobody at the table knows I'm actively trying to change my food habits, nobody would care one way or another, but I want this to not cycle back to stage 1. I want to be in control and not have food happen to me - or the situations where food is served around me become an excuse to not act like I have goals I'm trying to reach.

Not always perfect...but I wanted to remind myself that I did say no when it counted. I can do this.

Anyone else find a way through a personal test, abstaining even just for a moment, that deserves a bit of celebration?

Replies

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    There's a whole thread in success forum, this is what's known as a non scale victory, aka nsv.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    Bravo for you! So true, it takes moments of strength..as you describe . to be successful. There is always a special occasion, obligation, meal out, vacation, or celebration. If we use those events as a reason to break our fitness plan..it will never happen. keep up the great work!
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    lustrata wrote: »
    I don't, at the moment, have people in my life I want to share these things with...but I would just like to say: I am so proud that I carried trays and trays of baked goods around my office (dozens upon dozens of every breakfast pastry imaginable) on multiple occasions over the past two weeks and did not sneak a taste. Nobody would have known or missed that coffee cake slice, but I would have.

When we took a new colleague out to lunch and went to a Mexican restaurant I did not know in advance or pick, I got the taco salad, picked what I could low-carbwise out of it and let the rest go. Nobody at the table knows I'm actively trying to change my food habits, nobody would care one way or another, but I want this to not cycle back to stage 1. I want to be in control and not have food happen to me - or the situations where food is served around me become an excuse to not act like I have goals I'm trying to reach.

Not always perfect...but I wanted to remind myself that I did say no when it counted. I can do this.

Anyone else find a way through a personal test, abstaining even just for a moment, that deserves a bit of celebration?

Congratulations for treating food responsibly! I think that's one of the biggest differences between people who don't have a weight problem and those that do. You didn't think your body needed pastries at this time or a Mexican food pig-out, so you abstained. Doesn't mean you can't have a donut again in your life or more Mexican food but right now, what you're doing (losing weight) doesn't jibe with those food choices! When I'm trying to lose weight, I tell almost no one. It's a rare friend who wants to talk about calories, food choices, water retention etc. That's why mfp is so great. That's all any of us want to talk about here! Again, congrats on making good choices!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Congratulations! I agree that your very mindful, conscious decisions are to be celebrated. It's so very easy to rationalize "oh just one..." or "I'll take the chimichanga special because it'll be a long time before I have Mexican again..." To recognize and embrace your decisions to stick to your weightloss commitment is a way to make future decisions easier. REMEMBER how you felt when you made these decisions. So self-empowering! So in charge of your own destiny!

This has been a good post for me to decide to click on and read. I've been letting myself slide and rationalize a brownie here, lots of butter on some bread there...and I need to remember how liberating, actually, it is to be able to enjoy the flavor of sticking to your commitment rather than the flavor of a fleeting pastry. Thanks for that!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!