Strength Programs?

Options
I'm still in my cutting phase, but I'm getting more serious about strength training. So I do a combination of strength training first and then 30-45 minutes of cardio right after.

My problem is that I am brand new to strength training. I don't know anyone in my life who does any time of fitness, let alone strength training, so looking to people I know for advice isn't realistic for me. When I'm doing strength training, I don't feel that I'm doing it in a productive way. I have no idea what I am doing most of the time, like what exercises I am to do for certain body parts, or what body parts should I work out on what days, etc...

I find myself usually doing a little bench pressing, leg extensions/leg curls (because it's attached to my bench press), and then moving dumbbells. I don't think I'm doing enough.

What I'm looking for is a program that is designed for beginners that will teach me what I should be doing, when and how often. I've found things like it, but most require me to be at a gym. Because of my work schedule, going to a gym is not realistic, which is why I've built up somewhat of a home gym (and still growing).

Can anyone suggest me where I can find a program that will get me on the right track, where it only requires me to use the equipment that I have?
  • Bench Press with the leg thing
  • 350lbs worth of plates, a 5' and a 7' bar
  • Power Tower
  • Dumbbells ranging from 15lbs to 55lbs
  • Squat rack
  • Curl bar
  • Marcy MWM-990 Home Gym type thing (it looks the same, but it's like a 6 year old version the I got for free)

I would think that this list above is enough equipment for a beginner like myself and I feel like I am not using any of it to it's full potential.

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    First off, you are definitely on the right track, resistance training while losing weight is vital to preserve muscle so the faster you start the better off you will be in the end.

Unfortunately, I really don't know what you mean by bench with the leg thing and what type of power tower? I assume you mean the station that allows you to do pullups and dips, but there are a few variations.

It looks like you have enough equipment to do a good basic routine. I would look into a good novice routine like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, or similar along with some bodyweight exercises like pullups and dips if you can do those.

A basic program should likely include:

Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    squats
    pullups
    rows
    Overhead Press

You can add in exercises like pushups, dips, curls, tricep extensions etc as well to round out your program.

• Jasp03
    Jasp03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First off, you are definitely on the right track, resistance training while losing weight is vital to preserve muscle so the faster you start the better off you will be in the end.

Unfortunately, I really don't know what you mean by bench with the leg thing and what type of power tower? I assume you mean the station that allows you to do pullups and dips, but there are a few variations.

It looks like you have enough equipment to do a good basic routine. I would look into a good novice routine like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts 5x5, or similar along with some bodyweight exercises like pullups and dips if you can do those.

Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    squats
    pullups
    rows
    Overhead Press

You can add in exercises like pushups, dips, curls, tricep extensions etc as well to round out your program.

Excuse my strange wording for what things are called, still very new! You're correct about the tower, it allows for pull-up, push-up, dip, vertical knee raise. As for the bench, the packaging said it's called a "leg developer", if that explains it any better.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Jasp03 wrote: »
    I'm still in my cutting phase, but I'm getting more serious about strength training. So I do a combination of strength training first and then 30-45 minutes of cardio right after.

Can anyone suggest me where I can find a program that will get me on the right track, where it only requires me to use the equipment that I have?
    • Bench Press with the leg thing
    • 350lbs worth of plates, a 5' and a 7' bar
    • Power Tower
    • Dumbbells ranging from 15lbs to 55lbs
    • Squat rack
    • Curl bar
    • Marcy MWM-990 Home Gym type thing (it looks the same, but it's like a 6 year old version the I got for free)

I would think that this list above is enough equipment for a beginner like myself and I feel like I am not using any of it to it's full potential.

You've got more than enough equipment to get your pretty far.

You can do dumbbell or barbell bench, push ups, dips, overhead press.
    You can do pullups, rows (DB, BB, or bodyweight)
    You can deadlift (many variations)
    You can squat (again many different variations)
    Lunges and step ups, split squats, hip thrusts.

I wouldn't even bother with the leg extension/curl part of the bench.
  • mscism2
    mscism2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting I got a lot of good ideas off pinterest. I think u have a great home gym started. I just have to physically go to the gym. If I go to work, I go to the gym. I don't like big crowds so I go before I go to work in the mornings and just go to work from there. I also have a wonderful gym family that constantly shows me new things and motivates me. Good luck to you!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    squats
    pullups
    rows
    Overhead Press

You've got the equipment for SS or SL. So yes, I'd go with that, IF you feel that's not enough, certainly pullups, dips, and Pushups are your other basic exercises.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    tskaggs15 wrote: »
    Look up Kinobody on the internet. You only have to lift three days per week, but you gain incredible strength on this program.

Please ignore, Kinobody isn't what a beginner, or really anyone, needs.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    tskaggs15 wrote: »
    Look up Kinobody on the internet. You only have to lift three days per week, but you gain incredible strength on this program.

Please ignore, Kinobody isn't what a beginner, or really anyone, needs.

I agree. With the equipment the OP has and with starting from ground zero, Starting Strength or Strong Lifts would be work really well.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I did Starting Strength and feel I made incredible progress doing it. Strong Lifts is another option, as others have said, but I don’t have first hand knowledge of it.

I am not on intermediate programming and even that you have all the equipment you need, besides more plates. People have gotten big and strong with only the basics for years.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    And here is the link that has the programmes mentioned above, and more.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.