Food craving around 8-9 pm

Options
Hi all,

My wife and I are trying to lose weight, I have 4 more kg to go. I tend to do a lot of walking/working out in order to compensate the food craving after dinner time and when we both sit behind the television and have a nice time.

Any tips :smile: ? Since I cannot seem to shake this annoying habit of, I have been trying it for several months now :neutral:.

106854495.png

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    save a few cals for an 8pm snack?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    save a few cals for an 8pm snack?

Yep, this!

I usually have a mid-late evening snack. Nothing large but enough to ward off the mid-evening hunger.

Plus I've found a selection of teas I really like so I'll have a cup or two throughout the evening. I'm drinking a mint-choc rooibos tea these days. It's delicious and I look forward to it. It's sweet enough I don't need sugar and I don't use milk in my tea so it's a good low-cal choice.
  • Mattmuff2017
    Mattmuff2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yeah, sounds boring but I find having a drink helps. Just some water..
  • 18sacrifices
    18sacrifices Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Back load your calories so you're able to have a larger dinner and possibly a little something post dinner. Intermittent fasting helps with that. Also having a generous allotment of calories goes a long way. Not too sure how much you're working with or if your're actually eating enough to begin with.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    are you actually hungry ? ... or is it a habit to eat at that time and your body expects it.

With me its the latter and I cant break the habit, I can stop it for a few days, but then it kicks in and stuff has to be eaten.

Now I do as had been said, and put a few calories aside. why dont you pre-log a 8pm snack of your choosing ie Greek yogurt and raspberries (150cal) ... then make sure you dont go over your allowance for the rest of the day .. ie have the soup without the roll
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a snack.

I generally plan on two evening snacks. About 8pm and something smaller just before bed. I frequently don’t have the bedtime snack. But having it available calms my nerves.

“Just say no” can add undue stress. I always prefer the easy way.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I try and save at least 200 calories for a snack after I get my kids to bed. Right now it's usually an apple with PB2 or Enlightened mint chip bar. Then I drink water or chew gum so I don't eat more.
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    All of this ^. Skip breakfast, eat a smaller lunch/dinner, find a way to fit those calories in. Or work out for some more calories. You have a lot of options.

ETA: I also find that if I log something before I eat it (and see it make me go over goal) often the craving goes away.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't think the answer is in the diet.
    You are relaxing with your wife in front of the tv and want to snack...really, is it just me here doing the maths? Don't think of food, for goodness sake! Make love instead.
    That is quality time, don't waste it snacking, come on!
  • boxgh1
    boxgh1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth, it will cleanse your palate and end your craving. Will power...
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am experimenting with just not eating after dinner, and facing the discomfort. I also have some hot decaf tea and that helps too.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Try to not do TV every night. Do something else. A walk and talk together, get some of the housework out of the way, find a hobby, do the laundry, turn on some music and dance--break the sitting habit and I bet the snack habit will vanish.
  • franklin5280
    franklin5280 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    High Protein slow digesting snacks like cottage cheese, nuts, add frozen berries. Try moving snack back to 7:30, gives body a head start. Key is don’t eat too much. 3/4 cup or less.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Our go-to television snack is popcorn. I budget for the nighttime calories and satisfy that compulsion to grab a handful of something and stuff it in my mouth. I also nurse either an icy Coke Zero, some water with a slice of lemon in it, or a glass of merlot. Yum!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Our go-to television snack is popcorn. I budget for the nighttime calories and satisfy that compulsion to grab a handful of something and stuff it in my mouth. I also nurse either an icy Coke Zero, some water with a slice of lemon in it, or a glass of merlot. Yum!

you had me at merlot. Mmmmm