Stress and stress eating

Options
Hey all,

Without going into too much detail I've had a lot of crappy stuff going on in my life the last few weeks and all I want to do is stress eat. I haven't - I've kept myself strict, but any tips on how to make breaking the habit easier?

Replies

• KRTrenkamp
    KRTrenkamp Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As someone who is continuing the battle against eating out of boredom and stress eating I find exercise helps out a lot. Also, if I'm unable to exercise, chewing gum helps me as well.

Also, if you get the urge to eat, drink a full cup of water. It'll gill your belly without the calories.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    Was going through the same type of thing, stress/emotional eating. What is working for me is going on walks frequently (work breaks, after work, after dinner, basically whenever I can or feel like it) I still snack but try to pick healthier stuff-protein bars, nuts, fruit, yogurt, etc.

I also have been listening to a weight loss hypnosis which also gets me to sleep quickly. It's been almost 2 weeks and I really feel it's working. And even if it's all in my mind, it still helps me sleep super fast so win, win!

Chewing gum or drinking water or tea also helps instead of eating junk.

Hope any of these things help you :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I deal with my stress by lifting heavy freaking weights.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have problems with this too. My best advice, which has helped me LOTS, is to start working out. I always hated working out, and was afraid of it..but the endorphins I get from working out totally gets rid of those food cravings for me. And I usually don't wanna eat anything right after I workout either, so i eat when i actually get hungry so i can eat sensibly, and not based on a craving in my head. But this is what works for me, maybe something else will work for you.. I know, though, if you've relied on food for your happiness, or as a stress relief (which I definitely have), and you remove that stress eating behavior, you definitely have to have something to take the place of that. Could be working out (any type of work out, the one that you enjoy doing, even just going for a leisurly walk), listening to music, take a bath, anything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

facaa6d60566a7c86412bbceeb760006--bicycle-quotes-cycling-quotes.jpg

c0c01fe825678193fcf9ec55ed8b338e.jpg
  • PetitClapotis
    PetitClapotis Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yoga works for me. Once I concentrate on my vinyasa flow, I don't feel liking eating at all. One hour of yoga keeps hunger and cravings at bay for hours.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,146 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

facaa6d60566a7c86412bbceeb760006--bicycle-quotes-cycling-quotes.jpg

c0c01fe825678193fcf9ec55ed8b338e.jpg

This!! :grin:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I have the problem as well. 2 things help me (as distractions, not cures) - baking and gaming.

The downsides:

Baking - I'm making food I want to eat but can't because it doesn't fit in my daily calories (unless that's all I want to eat for the day)

Gaming - I'm enjoying myself and relieving stress, but I'm sitting on my butt for hours & hours and end up with my body burning less calories so I have to eat less which stresses me out.

I have yet to find exercise that relieves my stress.