A question for all mfp's

chef970
chef970 Posts: 196 Member
edited September 30 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning all mfp's,

Here is a question i have...for the past week or so i have been very good in eating healthy and making sure im well balanced. But lately, after sitting for a while and i get up to do something, i get light headed and dizzy for about 10 seconds or so. Does any body else experience this or might know whats going on? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Chef970

Replies

• rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    This has also been happening to me lately. I just thought it was my blood pressure being a little low - I've been on medication for some time and since I've lost weight, it may need adjusted. I don't have any idea what else it could be.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    yeah, dehydration is the first thing that comes to mind. the second thing I can think of is general fatigue, but the water thing would be my first choice ...
  • You need to have your blood pressure checked and also your blood sugar while it is happening. Your change in diet might have affected these.
  • it may be due to a normal physiological reaction called orthostatic hypotension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension, yes i know its wiki, but when doing research its always a good place to start)
    basically its because all your blood has pooled in your lower extermities (eg, legs, feet, etc.) from sitting for so long and not moving and when you stand up you get dizzy because your head doesn't have enough blood flow to it

if you're still worried or continues (even if you stand up slower) then go see your doctor.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    My first thought was that you are probably anemic. Are you getting enough iron in your diet? By all means, at least call your doctor to inform him/her of this.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    You could be dehydrated or this happened to me when my calories were too low at 1200, but I upped them up to 1400 and am feeling a lot better,
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    I do this a lot. It can be caused by a lot of things. Dehydration, low blood pressure, anemia, potassium deficiency, etc. If it's worrisome or you're getting to the point when you're actually passing out, see the doctor. But in the meantime, try to drink lots of water, make sure you're eating a well-balanced diet to get enough iron and potassium, and try to get up more slowly.
  • chef970
    At least 15 cups a bay...all sodas cut out.
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Always happens to me! i just call it head rush! Doctor hasn't said anything particularly bad causes this, i drink plenty of water (apart from this weekend) i have quite a good diet i exercise well and it still happens! i have my blood pressure checked regularly and i also had my blood sugar and blood levels all checked a while ago too. I think it's just something that happens.
  • chef970
    I did go to the doctors and had blood work done...the results showed everything is normal...all down the middle of the board...its not every time maybe 2 times a day...i will call my doc and see if he can shed some light on this.
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    I had a similar problem and I found that taking my daily vitamins made it go away, so I never figured out what it was but my guess would be iron. Do you take a daily vitamin?
  • sundaysurf
    sundaysurf Posts: 72 Member
    I have the same thing and have had it for some time now. It usually happens to me in the mornings and if I am dehydrated. I try to get up slowly in the morning and drink lots of water. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Are you working out with weights? if so it could be from not eating enough.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    How many calories are you taking in? Have you alters the ratio of carbs/proteins/fats? This happened to me when I was doing a lower carb diet. So I increased my carbs and it fixed the issue.
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    This has also been happening to me lately. I just thought it was my blood pressure being a little low - I've been on medication for some time and since I've lost weight, it may need adjusted. I don't have any idea what else it could be.

BP dropping was going to be my question...then there is dehydration and fatigue...maybe call your doc.
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    I did go to the doctors and had blood work done...the results showed everything is normal...all down the middle of the board...its not every time maybe 2 times a day...i will call my doc and see if he can shed some light on this.

Oops..I didn't see this til now! Good for you
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 306 Member
    At least 15 cups a bay...all sodas cut out.

The same thing was happening to me. I am on meds for high blood pressure. I went to the doctor and he adjusted my meds several times before we got my BP in a normal range. I am now taking 1/4 of the meds I was taking before. So, my first answer would definitely be blood pressure first, blood sugar second, are you getting enough protein third.
This discussion has been closed.