I need to be excited about going to the gym

Options
I know it takes a while to see results so if I go into it only focusing on that I will lose interest at the first sight of not seeing results so, any ideas or tips to get my head in the game would be appreciated. I don't have anyone in my area to go to the gym with and I have about 30 pounds to lose, I think I need someone to challenge me?

Replies

• NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think classes are motivating.
    I don't have to think, don't need motivation, just show up and do the work.
    :)
    I like jazzercise and Zumba, but most gyms offer a variety.
    Also, I work out first thing in the morning - no motivation needed because, well, the alarm went off a going to the gym is actually better than lying awake in bed for 2 hours.
    Good luck!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go to the gym to lose weight. You can lose 100% of the weight through diet.

I never get "excited" to hop on the treadmill when it's too cold to walk my dogs outside. I just do it. If you wait to be excited, you never will.

That said- it is good to find active hobbies that are fun for their own sake AND burn calories. Check out the work out classes at your gym. Zumba is a lot of fun. I really like yoga and barre classes can be brutal. I am also an avid dancer and teach swing dance classes (you can easily burn X-hundred calories in an hour of dance without even realizing you're working).
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh, and there's a whole forum of challenges, those might help you out too!
    And there's some websites, like dietbet and stepbet and the such where you wager money on your success. Those might be motivating too.
  • lhorne2
    lhorne2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi-- You cannot depend on others. Take it slow and you'll chip away at the extra weight, you'll increase your energy, and you'll get stronger. All of a sudden one day you"ll look in the mirror and you will notice it.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    You don't need to go to the gym to lose weight. You can lose 100% of the weight through diet.

I never get "excited" to hop on the treadmill when it's too cold to walk my dogs outside. I just do it. If you wait to be excited, you never will.

That said- it is good to find active hobbies that are fun for their own sake AND burn calories. Check out the work out classes at your gym. Zumba is a lot of fun. I really like yoga and barre classes can be brutal. I am also an avid dancer and teach swing dance classes (you can easily burn X-hundred calories in an hour of dance without even realizing you're working).

Yes to everything above. I can't say that I've ever been excited to go to the gym. I give up sleep to do it. I enjoy how I feel afterwards, but getting there is just a consistency thing. You just show up. I'm not motivated enough to work out at home. Being at the gym makes me feel like others are watching me (even though they really aren't), so I push myself. Like mentioned, group classes are also great psychologically as you don't want to be the quitter in the middle of class.

But also, see if you can find a fun-to-you activity that you enjoy that doesn't feel like exercise. I have lots of those outside of the gym. Bouldering, kayaking, aerial, acrobatics, etc.
  • Kimla500
    Kimla500 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight doing outdoors stuff. Mostly alone. No gym. If I waited for someone to challenge me, I'd still be fat.

It's an inside job, in my opinion. If you need others to motivate you, how about Crossfit or classes at your gym?

That's the plan, I'm going to start with classes at Good Life, thank you.
  • atyrone
    atyrone Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    To be honest,if you can motivate yourself to stick with it,maybe its nit mean to be. People can only help to the certain degree,the real struggle is to be consistent.
  • Kimla500
    Options
    Thanks everybody, every word, comment, and suggestion matters and gets me a little more excited! I'm going to start doing some classes at my gym, just wish I had someone to go with but that's what made me keep away from the gym in the first place so I'm over it
  • Kimla500
    Options
    atyrone wrote: »
    To be honest,if you can motivate yourself to stick with it,maybe its nit mean to be. People can only help to the certain degree,the real struggle is to be consistent.

That's exactly it, I started back in September but then my mom passed on October 1st and I couldn't motivate myself to keep going but every day looking at myself and not feeling good about my appearance has the gym calling my name!
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I just started hitting the gym again this week and I'm SO SORE! LOL But I know I'll start feeling better tomorrow. I actually prefer hitting the gym by myself and luckily I have one here at work. I plan my lunch hour around what the others' are doing so I can better focus on myself and what I am doing.
    I am thinking of joining a local Crossfit Club. I'm a little terrified though!
    Feel free to send me a FR
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I had waited until I was excited to workout or eat right I would never have lost the weight. I'm not excited about brushing my teeth but I do it every day because it's how I take care of myself.

Find an activity you like doing so it will become a non-event habit. Learn to take a walk when you are stressed out or bored. And spend more time working on your food, that's where the results will truly come from. Mundane good habits will get you way farther than motivation.

Sorry if that isn't very inspirational :lol: I didn't really mean it that way, but it's the truth. Good luck!
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a gym, well, I've been to physical therapy and that was like a gym. I messed up before trying to lose weight. I was doing workouts that I did not enjoy, therefore, I said screw it. I'm not doing it. Now I have 30 lbs (give or take) to lose. The biggest thing for me was to find things that I enjoy doing for my exercise. I have some equipment that I purchased second hand and I use it in my basement where I can sing loudly and out of tune while I sweat like a pig. I enjoy it though! I think that's the key. Finding something that you like and can stick to. I've had my new lifestyle for 21 days, and I'm down 7 lbs. I don't see much for change in the mirror, but I sure do feel it and see it on the scale. Don't get discouraged.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym! Haven't gone to one in over two years. I love to walk outside, do yoga and play sports. So if your goal is to lose 30 lbs, you can do that easily by finding exercise you love!
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym! Haven't gone to one in over two years. I love to walk outside, do yoga and play sports. So if your goal is to lose 30 lbs, you can do that easily by finding exercise you love!

That's the key! I totally agree with you because that is what worked for me. Find something you love to do.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I hated the gym until I went ahead and joined a semi private group class with a trainer. Having that group, that I connected with made all the difference. If you didn't show up, they'd be texting to find out where the heck you were. If you are just going to go to a gym and walk on a treadmill, I'd save the $$ and walk around your block 10 times. A good trainer will help you achieve your goals. Or help you set goals (that's what happened to me).
  • rupshaw
    rupshaw Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Kimla500 wrote: »
    I know it takes a while to see results so if I go into it only focusing on that I will lose interest at the first sight of not seeing results so, any ideas or tips to get my head in the game would be appreciated. I don't have anyone in my area to go to the gym with and I have about 30 pounds to lose, I think I need someone to challenge me?
    Motivation is tough at times but I would submit it really more about a choice and deciding to choose to go/do and make sure it is in your calendar even if it’s just 20 minutes. I’d also say it doesn’t have be the gym. For me it’s about doing something, strength, running, stretching, etc. You can do it everyday and you’ve got lots of encouragement here.