Feeling disheartened:(

Options
So I made the dire mistake of popping onto the scales at my doctor's (when she left the room!) And these scales weighed me in almost 20lbs heavier than the pay for ones I normally use in the pharmacy ... I feel like such a failure.
I know I've still lost the same amount of weight but therefore my start weight was a lot higher but now I have so much more to loose when I was beginning to think I was just about a stone or so from target.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Here's kind of a cool article on bodyweight scales. Don't get discouraged. It could be factor of many things.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Scales weigh slightly differently but not 20 pounds differently. One of those scales is broken, or you were wearing shoes, coat, etc when you normally weigh naked. Even then... it's a stretch.

Spend $25 and buy your own scale and use only that one. This is the scale I use and it's very consistent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLSKYAY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Every scale is different, also the weight of your clothes today could be heavier than the last time you weighed in..also if its a different time of day, more food in your body undigested etc.
  • adambrown01
    adambrown01 Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So I made the dire mistake of popping onto the scales at my doctor's (when she left the room!) And these scales weighed me in almost 20lbs heavier than the pay for ones I normally use in the pharmacy ... I feel like such a failure.
    I know I've still lost the same amount of weight but therefore my start weight was a lot higher but now I have so much more to loose when I was beginning to think I was just about a stone or so from target.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Use the same scale to monitor your weight. Or for a different perspective measure your body fat % on a handheld bioelectric impedence device and see a different set of numbers. (I recommend a BIA device because they are relatively cheap and discreet. Pls don't pinch my fat ok?)
  • LiveLoveProgress
    LiveLoveProgress Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I do understand that weight is just a figure and that clothes and time of day make a difference I just felt a bit poop that there was such a big difference!

@Lorrpb - I never thought about how the pay for ones could weigh me less kinda like vanity sizing I guess

I do have a set of scales at home but they vary by about 3 or 4 lbs even if you get off and then straight back on again but still across what the pharmacy scales say

I guess I feel so bad because I've recently dropped my weight loss goal down to a 1lb a week as "I was doing so well, and getting so close to goal" but I feel like I've got to up it back to 1.5 or 2lbs because I'm so much farther away than I thought. Plus I feel a bit silly as I've started to feel a bit more confident now that I was at a healthy weight, but this other weight ( be it a fluke or not) pops me back into the overweight category:,(
  • LiveLoveProgress
    LiveLoveProgress Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If your doc wasn't in the room are you sure they were calibrated correctly, most scales only tend to differ by a few pounds not 20. Could be they were wrong.

That's very insightful ! My toddler had moved them about the room a bit and been playing with them!
  • 4EverHealthyNFit
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate by 5 to 10 lbs depending on sleep, diet, water intake and exercise. Don't get discouraged by one data point. Always weigh yourself at the same time during the day. I do it everyday in the morning when I get up before hitting the shower. Stay strong!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You're drawing a false conclusion by comparing different scales at different times of day. You're basing your concerns on a scale you don't even how to use correctly.! Why get disheartened over that result? Re-read the posts above about the correct way to track your weight on one set of scales. Try changing the battery on your at home scale. Then stick with that one for all your weights.
  • Tedo201
    Tedo201 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number, Stay disciplined in your exercise, diet and calorie intake and you'll get results. Judge yourself by how you feel and look. Not by the number on the scale.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Definitely change the battery in your home scale or just buy a new one.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel, my old scales died and I had to buy new ones, 10 lbs off and I had gained 6 over holidays on top of that. I weighed at the gym and new scales were right. Oh well here I go again, makes me mad as he#l but try again.