Where do you keep your eggs?

Options
fr33sia12
fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
I asked on another forum if raw eggs would go bad having been in the fridge all night when it wasn't working. I was basically bombarded with "never keep eggs in the fridge" like it was a rule or something, though no one could answer why. I've always kept (raw) eggs in the fridge. What's everyone's opinion on this?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in the fridge, but they keep well in room temperature too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in the fridge. Why is that *supposedly* a bad thing?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    commercially bought eggs need to be refrigerated. fresh eggs (like from my neighbor who has chickens) that haven't been washed can be kept at room temperature for up to a month. If you wash them, it's best to refrigerate because you will have removed the bloom.

but again, if you're using commercially bought eggs, they need to be refrigerated.

This.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    But why is it BAD to keep them in the refrigerator? Why would the OP be told
    never keep eggs in the fridge
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We keep ours on the counter but there is nothing wrong with putting them in the fridge, or freezer if you find a good deal and want to stock up. This time of year a lot of our eggs are frozen before we gather them.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    We keep ours on the counter but there is nothing wrong with putting them in the fridge, or freezer if you find a good deal and want to stock up. This time of year a lot of our eggs are frozen before we gather them.

Thank you. I never thought of freezing them. I just recently started freezing things like butter and cheese so I could take advantage of better pricing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've always kept them in the refrigerator and understood the rule to be as cwolfman says (but even for farm fresh eggs I've always kept them in the refrigerator because that's what we did when I grew up and it's what I'm used to and anyway I'd probably manage to break them if I kept them on the counter).

I can't imagine why putting them in the refrigerator would be wrong, maybe they mixed them up with tomatoes. ;-)
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Mine are fresh from the bird but go into the fridge because I hate things on my counter. But if we gather eggs and get busy and forget them in a corner of the garage, entrance or kitchen for days before they get stored they are fine. I only wash the ones that have poop on them and those go directly into the fridge.

I wonder if the “never keep eggs in the fridge” comment is because they are porous? Like said earlier if you wash the boom off, the shell can absorb from its surroundings. Maybe it would absorb smells etc from the fridge??
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Good article.

If you do get unwashed eggs be sure to wash them in warm water. As someone mentioned above the shells are porous and cold water can cause them to constrict and pull bacteria from the outside of the shell in.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've always kept them in the refrigerator and understood the rule to be as cwolfman says (but even for farm fresh eggs I've always kept them in the refrigerator because that's what we did when I grew up and it's what I'm used to and anyway I'd probably manage to break them if I kept them on the counter).

I can't imagine why putting them in the refrigerator would be wrong, maybe they mixed them up with tomatoes. ;-)

I keep my tomatoes in the fridge too.

I'm doing everything wrong. Gaah. I can't do life.

If they are store bought it's unlikely to make much difference.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    But why is it BAD to keep them in the refrigerator? Why would the OP be told
    never keep eggs in the fridge

No idea why, it must be a British thing. But again I asked why shouldn't I keep them in the fridge and no one could answer, I think they just believe it's wrong for no good reason.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I keep my tomatoes in the fridge too.

I'm doing everything wrong. Gaah. I can't do life.

If you put fresh tomatoes in the fridge they can lose a lot of their flavor and sometimes become mealy. As @Need2Exerc1se said, if they are store bought, they probably don't have much flavor anyway :smiley: . But I still feel mine taste better at room temp.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I had no idea you can freeze eggs. Shell and all, I assume? That's a fantastic idea!