I’m such a failure!!

Options
I gained all my weight back! I’m starting back over. I’m so disappointed in myself. I have POTS so it’s nearly impossible to exercise and losing weight is so hard. Why did I undo all of my hard work? #Idiot

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You're not a failure. Most of us have been there/done that. Dust yourself off and look at what made you gain it back. Did you lose weight too quickly before? Were you too strict in your diet? Try to avoid doing those things this time. Weight loss comes from the food you eat, not from working out. You can burn some calories working out, but working out is more for heart health and shaping. So, even though you can't workout, you can do this.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    You came back. You let out your anger, and you are armed with knowledge and experience about what it takes to lose weight. Therefore, you are not a failure.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing....except I tacked on an extra 15lbs just to really do myself in. You aren't a failure, you just needed a reset. So now, I expect you had just that since you're on here right now. No big yank. It's hard for anyone to lose weight I think, if we expect to keep it off. I came back 21 days ago now, and I am doing things differently...like sticking with a plan that I know I can sustain and enjoy. I was down and out after a back injury (pretty bad one). I didn't hardly move for 8 months or more. I got really chubby. I just had enough one day and started walking. It's been pretty cold, but I really enjoy it. Now I've added elliptical work outs. Small steps, but that's okay. I'm not going to fail this time. Neither are you. Use the anger you have now for a quick walk, or some leg lifts. That's what helped me. I got pi***d at myself, and then I decided to commit to making a few changes. One day at a time!!! We can do this together:)
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You're back and that is what counts. You took the first step. Now just keep going forward. If you did it once you can do it again. 1 step at a time. Do what you can. No beating yourself up mentally or emotionally. Every day is a chance to start fresh. Use what you learned and take another step foward.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Your not a failure...you can get things back on track!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I am back here for the second time possibly the 3rd. I don't remember if I lost much my first time doing it. But in 2015 I lost 50 lb. I had 50 more to go. And I took a little break. Then the next thing I knew it was two years later and I was back up those 50lb again. that was the abbreviated version. The most important thing is we are back and we are doing what is best.

Don't worry about the exercise; just worry about the calorie deficit right now. I would consider looking into doing some weight training when you can to help shape your body as you lose weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe you had an unsustainable plan. Maybe your motivation was weightloss, not your new lifestyle. You're not a failure for making such common mistakes. You're not an idiot for liking to eat.
  • jpearson1289
    jpearson1289 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your not a failure, failure is giving up. It's okay to rebound and have to try again, it's part of life sometimes. Just keep tracking even on bad days and keep your head up, I'm in the same boat, I have Fibromyalgia and one of the meds they put me on turned me into a log and I went from 215 to 256, loosing weight and keeping it off is hard, especially when you have a chronic illness. You got this, stay positive!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you were a failure you wouldn't be here. Coming back here and being willing to work on it again is the definition of not being a failure. Now think hard what contributed to your regain and work on that. Take it as a learning opportunity.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, regained almost 50 lbs. Now I'm working on losing it again. I know it hard, but beating yourself up isn't at all helpful. You've done it before, so you know how to do it again! Send me a FR if you want. You've got this!
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor tell me once that when I had lost weight that was a success even when re-gained because he told me I did it and I can do it again!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Your not a failure, your human. It happens.
    Get back on the horse.
    Think about how you can do things differently this time to make lasting change instead of temporary.
    Most importantly be kind to yourself.
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's so weird how we don't notice that we are gaining weight, or maybe we just don't want to notice...It's happened time and again! Like someone else mentioned, you are not a failure , you are just human! Now that you've taken notice of it, get back at it! You've done it before so you know how!..besides, the hardest part is keeping it off! that is when the hard times come in, at least for me!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    There only failures are people that give up. You lost 50 pounds! You returned to eating more than you need for a while. Now you've eating less than you need abain. It is the behavior, not a moment's measure.

A new behavior for me is weighing every morning. Another new behavior is weekly meal planning. We can lose 100 pound and feel good about it when we change behavior.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You aren't a failure, you came back. FWIW I have read a few studies that indicate exercise can be very beneficial for those suffering from POTS, maybe something like this could help: http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/pdf/CHOP_Modified_Dallas_POTS_Exercise_Program.pdf