Looking for constructive feedback not a lecture please

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    2.5 pounds per week is a good rate of loss at your current weight. The method you're using, is working, for now. But for later, or for ease of mind, now: Do you log everything you eat, and do you verify all entries yourself?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It would be concerning if you werebeating below your calorie goal if your calorie goal is kind of low to begin with.
    First make sure you are. Are you losing at your expected rate or faster?
    If you have not been losing faster than expected then your logging may be off and you don't need to change what you eat. Check your accuracy. You might be using a wrong database entry. Check it with something like the usda food database. If you are not using a food scale start using one instead of eyeballing, cups, spoons, slices, etc. Use the recipe builder to log foods you make.

If you need to make food changes-
    Are you meeting your protein and fat goals? Your diet sounds pretty low on those things so maybe add more of those things.
    Add calorie dense foods. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Use more full fat dairy. Drink some whole milk. Add more cheese to your meals.
    Use whole eggs instead of just egg whites. Have 2 hardboiled eggs instead of 1.
    Maybe add beans, lentils, edamame or quinoa to meals. Eat some hummus.
    Have cottage cheese.
    Full fat pudding. Full fat yogurt.
    Eat less lean meats. Eat more meat.
    Use fats in cooking.
    Bread, bagels, tortillas, crackers, etc. Have a wrap or a sandwich. Throw some croutons on your salad.
    Seeds like sesame or sunflower can add calories.
    Eat dried fruit, coconut, peanut butter.
    Avocado, banana or other higher calorie fruits and vegetables. Eat some corn or potatoes more.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to change anything?

You say that since the stitches came out you've been losing around 1 to 1.5lb a week. This seems fine to me at the moment if you are content with what you're eating (which I assume you are), just stick with what you're doing. As you lose weight your calorie requirements will come down slightly so your weightless will slow, which is a good thing as you get closer to your goal.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be super worried if you only been eating lower than goal for 2 weeks especially if you are currently obese , I had a period like this after starting diet and but the appetite do come back. If you feel weak and unwell then do eat more even if you are not hungry. You can also do one day a week where you eat more calorific food, like going out to restaurant, having dessert or fatty meat.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    From what I see, you are eating healthy - you just need more of the same. Your protein numbers are much lower than what my doctor recommends (your doc may have a different opinion). I'd add some protein to your salads. One of my favorite snacks is an apple with peanut butter - that's an easy 300 calories and fairly healthy. You may also want to consider a protein shake - I like the taste of the Walmart Chocolate. It's 180 calories for 30 grams of protein (I blend it with water, but you could add it to your milk).

Bottom line - keep up the healthy eating - just eat a bit more. You've got this!
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar problem in the past but have mostly overcome it. I have a couple of particular health issues which do dictate what I can and can't eat, and suffer long term consequences from a number of injuries so I can get too much into my own head about food intake from time to time. Some of the little tricks I used (and try to keep up) to expand my food choices include; increasing the range of healthy fats e.g. use the whole egg, make roasted veg salad using olive oil, avocado in the salad or turn it into a dressing, use coconut products especially with anything vaguely Asian; increase carbs by using cooked and chilled (overnight) potato or basmati rice to make salads - about 100g is plenty for to me; trying new veges and new ways of preparing them; trying new combinations of foods (this was a biggie for me as things taste different depending on what you put them with); eating something someone else prepared; include pickled foods or even make your own. I didn't do all this overnight. It's taken about 2 years but I'm eating around 1100 to 1200 (target is 1300) caps per day now and losing weight compared to struggling to eat 800 and also struggling to lose.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If you have 70lbs to lose with a goal of 1300 calories I’m assuming your goal is set to 2lbs per week correct?

If it is, you said you have lost 1-11/2lbs per week since you recovered from surgery and started eating again. That would indicate that logging may be off and you are not really undereating the way you think you are. Actually, if your goal is based on 2lbs per week you are eating above the goal MFP give you
  • SCoil123
    Options
    gully098 wrote: »
    If you're not using a food scale to measure your calories you're probably eating more than you think. Are you losing weight? If so how much weekly? Also what's your current height and weight? I think once we have this information this can let us know if we should be concerned.

Right now you gave us a number, but I gotta know how what you're eating is impacting you weight wise.

I'm 5 foot 3. I was 226 lbs at Christmas. I'm now 211 lbs. I've lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks. The first 8 pounds was because I had dental surgery and couldn't eat anything except soft foods like scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes until the stitches were removed. I've lost about a pound to a pound and a half each week since. Yes, I use an electronic food scale that gives me ounces and grams and I weigh everything.

This is the comment I was responding to
  • SCoil123
    Options
    15 pounds in 6 weeks is very fast, and you may indeed need to add calories (that's not usually the issue!).

Add calorie dense items into your diet. Peanut butter and ice cream are always the right answer ;) . Or a nice glass of wine and some cheese. You have room for a "treat." Enjoy it.

Most of that loss happened while recovering from dental surgery unable to eat though. I would not recommend looking at that timeframe as a point of reference.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Use a whole egg in your quiche not just the white. Add meat like ham or sausage or even deli meat if you like. You can make veggies more caloric with butter or roasting it with bacon (yum!!). Just make sure you are weighing and measuring so you don’t go over and if you have 100-200 left then treat yourself. :).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A lb to a lb and a half per week is fine. If it speeds up, you will want to worry more about adjusting, but if you feel good and aren't hungry and are losing at that rate, great.

I do wonder why an egg white quiche if worried about calories being too low, eat whole eggs. If you don't like dressing on salad, how about seeds (or are those like nuts) or avocado or olives? Add some peanut butter to your oats in the morning or eat a bit more or put some fruit on it. It's really not hard to eat more, I think the bigger hurdle is likely thinking -- if I am happy enough without eating more, why should I? And while you are losing what you are now, I think that's actually right, although don't be afraid to eat more if you start feeling unsatisfied. Beats thinking you can't and then getting to a point where you just go nuts or quit.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a trip to your doctor for an evaluation, and ask about a referral to a dietician. My doctor actually had a bunch of handouts on nutrition and some advice on how to incorporate certain foods and eliminate others. So I didn't need to go to a dietician after all. I agree with the ideas given above, you can throw some blueberries or strawberries onto your oatmeal, and eat half a banana. Whatever appeals to you. I'd add back some more chicken or steak, actually, because I convinced myself I needed the protein. I just made sure I weighed out a real portion, like 6 ounces of chicken or 4 ounces of steak. I also made scrambled eggs (at least one whole egg) and threw cheddar cheese on top. I think you're very close to doing everything right.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    until you open your diary, all any of us can really say is that it is likely you are eating more than you THINK you are.
  • blkfiver
    blkfiver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful that you can keep a deficit and not feel deprived. I love my greens with feta. As long as you keep hydrated and your diet is nutrient dense you will not have to eat that much. I seem to think if your starving your nutrient deficient.