Going Back to Work - Fears

Options
Hello All,
I just discovered myfitnesspal about a week ago and I've really been kicking butt on watching my calorie intake and making sure I get a workout in. Luckily I was able to do this because I was on summer vacation, but I start back to work on Friday. I would work a community action program in which we have to eat breakfast and/or lunch with the children under our care and we don't get a choice as to what the lunch is. We have to eat what he cafeteria serves. I can take a break during one of the meals so I know I can pack something healthy then, but I'm worried about having to eat the other meal every day.

On top of that I'll be working 8 hours a day, which I know many of you do and I was wondering how you find the time energy and motivation to do it. I'm a single mommy so by the time I pick my daughter up from day care I'll only have 3 hours to spend with her before we have to start our bedtime routine. And those hours on non-negotiable. Since I only get a few hours with her day those 3 hours are completely and totally focused on her. So, I know I can workout after she goes to bed which I do now either during her nap or when she goes to bed for the night.

BUT my situation gets further complicated a few weeks after I got back to work I also start taking my last and final grad class. In the past I have been doing my classwork after my daughter has gone to bed and it usually takes 2-3 hours almost every night. Which in and of itself gets me to bed around midnight if I'm lucky. Then I'm up by 6:00am and have to do it all over again. I've gained between 5-10 pounds with every one of these classes I've taken. I don't want to gain any more. I want to keep losing.

I'm so worried that with all these responsibilities piling up I won't be able to keep up with everything. So, I want to hear from you moms that have been working full time and/or doing other things. How do you stay motivated? Where do you find the energy? Where do you find the time? Any other advice?

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    um.. WHAT kind of job tells you what you MUST eat!? I guess if you can't get out of it, I'd just do some extra cardio on those days - log em & maybe they're not that bad?
    But for the long term, I'd protest that & if you're gonna MAKE me eat lunch, then it better be healthy
    alternatively, sneak in a slim fast & just 'pretend' to eat lunch or eat the veggies - give the fattening stuff to the kids
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    Hi,

I don't have the pleasure of a little one (yet :cry: ) so my situation is rather different, but I didn't want to read and run......

Can you look into doing things like walking to work? or part of the way to work? How old is your little one? can some of your 3 hours with her be running round in the park or garden? I know that watching some of my friends who have toddlers they never stop moving chasing after them!.....

Last year I finished my masters degree while working full time so I know how difficult it can be (even without a baby)....do you have to study every night? or could you alternate a night of study with a night of hard cardio?

I am sure that lots of helpful people on here will give you tonnes of ideas!

Good luck :flowerforyou:

Caroline x
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Why do you gain with every class??? Do you sit and eat while you are doing your homework?? If you do, try drinking water instead.
    I know it is not much but it is a start.
  • JJasMyself
    JJasMyself Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you response and ideas. The job I have is an all encompassing wellness and educational program for underprivileged children. In accordance with that idea it is also granted as a "feeding" program. So, we have to eat what the kids to demonstrate to the children proper manners and to try everything before before they decide they don't want to eat it. The whole practice what you preach approach. The meals do incorporate something from each food group, but more often than not the breakfasts are carbohydrate loaded meals like pancakes, french toast sticks, etc. And because we serve such a large number of kids the food is all bought in bulk so it's all the processes precooked easy to make stuff. Which I sure isn't the healthiest or low calorie. I can take my break during one of the two meals, which if scheduling works out with my assistant I would prefer to do so during breakfast so I can eat something healthier on my own. Thank you so much for your response! I will try some of your tips.
  • JJasMyself
    Options
    Yes unfortunately, between the lack of exercise because I'm doing classwork almost every night and the eating (mostly due to stress) while I'm doing my homework I gain between 5-7 pounds with each class. I can usually lose a few pounds before the next semester, but then it starts all over again. I'm actually bought myself a water 24oz water bottle to day to keep on hand at all times so that I can try to drink more water as opposed to eat. Now I just need to find a way to squeeze in a working out too, which is probably going to mean less sleep. As my classes have typically had some kind of assignment or other due every other day along with larger long term assignments that I work on in between the days I'm not working on the homework for the night before. Thank you so much for your response.
  • JJasMyself
    Options
    CarolineT, my daughter is 2. She does keep me on my feet a lot. I have started taking her on walks with me (in her stroller) since joining myfitnesspal, but I won't be able to do that in the winter around here, mostly I guess because I hate being cold so I probably won't go outside to walk. I've been doing EA Sports Active 2 workouts as my main exercise to lose weight and supplementing it with walks.