Migraine Pre workout???

Options
Hi all,
I get migraines - a lot - and they’re a real bummer to my exercise regime. Anyway a friend suggested I try preworkout. Has anyone else that also suffers from migraines tied any and if so what are some of your favorites?

Replies

• Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Beware!

A lot of pre-workouts are loaded with caffeine other additives that may trigger a migraine if you’re sensitive to the ingredients like I am. Have this conversation with your neurologist before you take them. I know I can’t.

I suggest a cup of coffee and enough food to sustain your activity level instead.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Many people have one or more specific things that tend to cause their migraines. Do you know what triggers your migraines? Is physical exertion one of your triggers?

I can't imagine why a pre-workout supplement would prevent migraines, unless the supplement you were using was somehow linked to one of your specific migraine triggers. However, I can think of ways a pre-workout could make your situation worse. There are a lot of different things sold as "pre-workout," but some of them have ingredients that can trigger migraines in some people. Large amounts of caffeine, for example, are a common migraine trigger, and are found in some pre-workout formulas. I assume that you're under a doctor's care for your frequent headaches, so I would personally not start using a new supplement without checking with your doctor.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Why exactly did your friend recommend them? Are they a licensed physician or certified in sports science and nutrition? I hate hearing “ oh my friend said”. Unless your friend is a certified professional their opinion is not valid when it comes to ingesting supplements and other substances.

Speak to your doctor about it. Simple as that.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    My preworkout is a caffeine pill because 99% of preworkouts contain a trigger for me. If your migraines are interfering with your daily activities, talk to your neuro about getting a daily medication to prevent them and a good rescue drug for when you feel one starting.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    My preworkout is a caffeine pill because 99% of preworkouts contain a trigger for me. If your migraines are interfering with your daily activities, talk to your neuro about getting a daily medication to prevent them and a good rescue drug for when you feel one starting.

Not everyone can do this, unfortunately. Some forms of migraine have few or no potential medication treatments.
    There's not much that can be done for those other than avoiding triggers. That's true for my migraines--all I could do was figure out what caused them, address the triggers, and take ibuprofen (which doesn't do much). If OP is in that situation, then it's especially important not to mess with a potential migraine trigger without talking to a doctor.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Excedrin Migraine?