Chinese Food: Killer of success (mostly).

Options
On Saturday morning, my pre workout weight was 205.6. I was pretty stoked with that number as it was 1.2 pounds down from my weigh-in the previous Monday (My official weigh in day). Then I ordered Chinese for lunch (after skipping breakfast) and went to town on some Tiny Spicy Chicken and a couple of egg rolls. The only thing I had to eat the rest of the day was the last of some nacho cheese and tortilla chips. I did well on my water consumption too. Then on Sunday I had the second entre which was more of the same thing: tiny spicy, rice, egg rolls. I did better with my eating the rest of the day, but only had a couple slices of toast with ham and cheese with a banana on the side. Needless to say, sodium was killer this weekend. This morning's weigh in was 208.6 and my name was about to make itself manifest in my attitude. Then I took my measurements since it is also measurement Monday and found that I'd *lost* a total of 1.5" from around various parts of my body.

Moral of the story: Chinese food was something I had limited to once a month, but I am now part of a challenge to hit my goal weight by November, so I am hereby saying sayonara to the Chinese (food, that is) until after the challenge. I will also plan my weekend food by Friday at the latest so there will be no temptations.

Moral #2: Make sure you're taking measurements and not relying totally on the scale. There will be times when the scale will be unfriendly, but the measurements can be the motivator to keep on pushing yourself through this journey.

I wish you all good luck and an awesome Monday!

Replies

• m2purple
    m2purple Posts: 38
    Options
    I agree, but I have a weakness for chinese food..... :happy:
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Even though I love it, Chinese food is something I rarely indulge in for this very reason. :grumble: However, when I do eat it, I try to stick to the grilled chicken dishes with lots of vegetables, choose a brown rice (if available), and stay away from the heavy carbs that exist in things like egg rolls and white rice. I know there are great recipes out there that can be made at home that can satisfy your craving and eliminate some of the fat and calories. Perhaps that's the option we should choose, instead?! :laugh:
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I had Chinese last night and this morning I was up 4 lbs from yesterday, and I ate half the amount that I would normally eat :(
  • kiwilan
    kiwilan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I put on a lb from eating Chinese at the weekend and that was still no where near as much as I would have had to eat.. I love Chinese food :(
  • Buckeye_Jenn
    Buckeye_Jenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was wondering why I was so far up over the previous day on the scale, when I remembered that I had sushi Saturday afternoon with lots of soy sauce, as well as gyoza and ponzu sauce. It's all so high in sodium even though it feels fairly healthy at the time. And to top it all off, the sushi wasn't even that great and my husband and I were both sick afterward, so the jump on the scale wasn't even worth it! I think it's turned me off sushi for a little while though, so hopefully I'll stay away from the Asian food blues on the scale.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I like Chinese food.....

But it doesn't like me.... :frown:

hehe, anyone remember those commercials from the 70's?

Tiny spicy chicken, nachos, egg rolls...these are all anti-body recomp foods.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Geez. I loved eating chinese. Fried rice mixed with that sweet and sour sauce with crab rangoon = MMMMMMMMMMMM.
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I believe it was the Kraft food site where I saw a recipe for baked crab rangoon. I've never tried it; but, I'll bet it would eliminate a lot of calories. I agree...that stuff is super yummy!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Chinese food CAN be fairly healthy. Make your own stir fry! It's very easy to do. Use a non-stick pan and control the oil. Sodium can be HUGE - so be careful. Use reduced sodium soy sauce & reduced sodium broth. Add lots of veggies and make your own brown rice (control the portion size).

Stay away from sweet & sour (sugar!) and anything deep fried.
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Now I want an eggroll and some lo mein... ugh!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Most Asian foods have high sodium. Heck you think Chinese is bad, try eating some Filipino adobo, with rice and top it off with chicharone!
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    Thats too funny you posted that... I order Chinese food on Sat night and felt super horrible about it so I went back to the gym... seriously the sodium in that meal was a killer! I must have had an entire big bottle of water in the hour i was there! It was one rough workout!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I had chinese about 2 months ago, i felt bloated and sick after it, and that was just after eating less than half of it.

I avoid it like the plague now, cause i just feel bloated no matter how little of it i eat, although its a pain if someone wants to go to a chinese to eat!

Use it as motivation not to order it anymore.