Vegan low carb high fat diet

Options
I've been wanting to switch up my diet and was introduced to the ketogetic diet, does any one have any tips for being plantbased and wanting to try this diet? Or is high carbs just as effective to weight loss?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t matter whether you choose to eat high carbs or low carbs or anything in between, calories are what really matter for weight loss.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to do a vegan ketogenic diet and meet protein requirements. Vegan protein sources like beans and grains have a significant amount of carbs.

You can lose weight by reducing calories. The balance of macros is your choice, and should be based on how you feel physically on high carb versus low carb. I think most people agree it's wise to try to reach your protein requirement every day so you don't lose muscle mass.
  • thetype2vegan
    thetype2vegan Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hey Hey! You can def do Vegan Keto. Watch some youtube videos for Meal Plan ideas. You'll get your protein from Veggies, Tofu, Vegan Protein Powders, (And also remember, too much protein is bad, especially on Keto cuz your body turns it into glucose which will knock you out of ketosis.) Fats you will get from healthy oils, vegan butter, vegan cheese (watch the carbs on these), Nuts & Seeds, and of course avocados. Fruit Wise, Berries are gonna be your go to cuz they are high in fiber!

Hope this helped!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to switch up my diet and was introduced to the ketogetic diet, does any one have any tips for being plantbased and wanting to try this diet? Or is high carbs just as effective to weight loss?

Carbs don't have anything to do with weight management. Keto and plant based/vegan can be done, but it would be incredibly restrictive in regards to the food you could eat and pretty monotonous IMO...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Vegan is typically high carb. These are ways of eating and have nothing to do with weight loss. You're looking at an extremely restrictive diet.
  • missriva85
    missriva85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been Vegan for over 3 years. No restrictions here what so ever actually. LOL. I get my carbs when I want them, my calories, my protein, etc... just fine. I don't live a high carb lifestyle at all. I follow over 500 vegan fitness guru's and trainers on Instagram. Massive sized people, heavy weight champs, trainers, instructors and people in general. Most of which have been Vegan their whole lives, close to it or been Vegan for quite some time. There's thousands of IG pages with food ideas to help you get on the right track. And thousands of inspirational vegans you can follow. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help too.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to? There are keto vegans (including successful athletes), but I'm not sure what motivates people to restrict an already partially restricted diet further. If you have the motivation to do it, for some specific reason, then you can do it- if there isn't a good rationale for pursuing keto though, don't bother.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I've done vegan keto... a previous partner wanted to so I did it with them for solidarity and to help them with logistics.

It was difficult, and in my experience, miserable. 1/10 would not recommend without medical reason.
  • RandallK86
    RandallK86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 pounds since September of last year on vegan keto. The diet is restrictive but there are vegan keto groups on facebook that share great food ideas and give advice. The biggest advantage vegan keto has over a high carb vegan diet is reduced food cravings/binge eating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I know a handful of people who have done vegan keto, generally to manage other health conditions. It is possible, but most people find it to be very restrictive and limited diet. IMO, it's not worth doing just to "switch up" your diet. There's a group on reddit, r/veganketo, if you're interested in what kinds of things to eat.

I think it's generally much easier for vegans to lose weight on a high or moderate carbohydrate diet just because you don't have to restrict as much. I lost over 40 pounds on a moderate carbohydrate diet (typically about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates) and have been comfortably sustaining that weight loss for a couple years now.
  • leanlady78
    leanlady78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for 7 months and it definitely has its merits in healing some health conditions. Given you have to be at 20 grams of carb a day I found it limited the amount of veggies I could eat which was in my opinion, the worst part of keto for me. I have recently gone vegan and will slowly increase my carb intake. I’m looking forward to not being limited in the beautiful veggies I can eat!

Vegan keto would, in my opinion, be way too restrictive.