What's the best low calorie pancake or waffle recipe?

Options
I've been experimenting with protein powder pancakes/waffles/muffins.
The ingredients I've been tinkering with are canned pumpkin purée, unsweetened applesauce, egg substitute, egg, baking powder and stevia.
I haven't found the magic ratio yet where I save the most calorie but produce the best pancake.

Anybody have a good recipe that they use?

Replies

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Not quite what you are looking for, but I use a recipe for pancakes which is mashed banana and egg ( 1 egg for every 60 g mashed banana) then sweetener if your choice to taste or maybe some cinamon
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    This recipe makes 4-6 decent sized (think palm of your hand) pancakes:
    1/4 cup 2% fat cottage cheese (40 cal)
    1 egg OR 1 egg white (25-70 cal)
    1/2 tsp baking powder (~ cal)
    1 shredded zucchini (35-60 cal)
    1/2 cup Quaker quick oats ground into flour (150 cal)

Mix together and let sit for a couple minutes. Add water until you reach the right consistency - usually about 1/4-1/3 cup works for me. Add to the griddle on medium heat and flip when they start to firm up. I usually flip a second time to make sure they cook all the way through before serving. Up to 6 pancakes for as little as 250 calories. Decent protein from the egg and cottage cheese AND you get a serving of veggies in there!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Kodiak cakes are fine to me- esp. with the amount of added protein. - You can always use less than the recommended serving size. then use lots of fruit or make a veggie omelette on the side of pancakes-
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I use Met-Rx pancake mix, though I make waffles out of them with a waffle iron instead. I have attached a pic of the label below. I add a little more water than what the instructions specify for two scoops, as the batter turns out too thick otherwise IMO. That said, they are pretty friggin good. I was shocked the first time I tried one. I don't think most people would be able to tell the difference between it and a normal waffle.

As far as what to add to the mix or what to top them with? Let your imagination go wild. There are endless possibilities.

f72byy1g1i41.png
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites, protein powder, oats, green banana flour and zucchini...

Im not sure the calories would be much different to "normal" but the macros might be more friendly.... For less calories, just eat less.
  • DitaVonCheese
    DitaVonCheese Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    They look great can I use plain skimmed milk instead in these ? Ty
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I use.

https://pin.it/ctqhfeynye6qfq

To reduce the overall calories reduce the fat on the pan, or make a smaller pancake.

Or you could whip the egg whites in to peaks before folding in the rest of the batter. You then have a larger pancake by volume with the same ingredients.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I changed crazyraver's recipe around. I used whole eggs and I had bananas to use up. I made a large batch and froze them. They were so good--gotta make more.

252g mature banana
    122g coconut flour
    5 eggs
    2 1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix ingredients
    This made 13 pancakes at 118 cal each
    I used a non-stick sandwich griller with a top, since I don't have a waffle iron " they don't exist in Italy".
    I froze them
    I put frozen raspberries on top and microwaved.

PS: If you're looking for protein powder recipes, crazyraver's protein powder cheesecake recipe is a must. He's got a long thread running on it.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite. I usually double the recipe to get 16 and eat three at a time

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10377334/healthy-protein-oat-pancakes#latest
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The pancake recipe I use is from the American Heart Association Low-Salt Cookbook 4th edition. It says it is 185 calories for a serving of two 4" pancakes with 7 g protein. I like the touch of cinnamon.
    The recipe is for 4 servings.

1 c all purpose flour
    2 T sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
    3/4 c plus 2 T fat free milk
    1/4 c egg substitute or 1 large egg
    2 tsp canola oil or corn oil
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Stir together dry ingredients. Add everything else and mix until just moistened and no flour visible. Heat griddle over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 c batter onto griddle for each pancake. Cook 2-3 minutes. Turn and cook about 2 minutes.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I just mash a banana with one egg, 1/8 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground flax and 1 tsp chia seeds

I top them with a little peanut butter. Had these this morning...YUM!!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I've done this waffle recipe a few times. Quick and easy.
    1 egg (or egg whites equivalent to 1 egg)
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    3 tbsp of water

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I changed crazyraver's recipe around. I used whole eggs and I had bananas to use up. I made a large batch and froze them. They were so good--gotta make more.

252g mature banana
    122g coconut flour
    5 eggs
    2 1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix ingredients
    This made 13 pancakes at 118 cal each
    I used a non-stick sandwich griller with a top, since I don't have a waffle iron " they don't exist in Italy".
    I froze them
    I put frozen raspberries on top and microwaved.

PS: If you're looking for protein powder recipes, crazyraver's protein powder cheesecake recipe is a must. He's got a long thread running on it.

Nice!!!! Glad this worked out. Now I think I might give this one a shot. Thank you for sharing.

Totally gonna try this. The @crazyravr recipe for pancakes/waffles is the baseline for many breakfast goodies I've attempted.