Ground turkey meals

Options
Does anyone have good recipes or types of meals they can share with me for cooking with ground turkey? For awhile I've been doing ground turkey and whole grain pasta, but I am trying to veer away from carbs later in the day now. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    No specific recipes, but a few ideas: have you tried zoodles? Spiralizing vegetables and using them instead of pasta may work.

Or, saute vegetables of your choice with your ground turkey and stuff into a lettuce wrap or bell pepper. Depends on your personal tastes, though.
  • cmorehar
    cmorehar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I heard of spiraling zucchini just recently, but haven't tried to make it yet. Thanks for the help
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've just used ground turkey in recipes that use ground beef. Meatballs, chili, tacos, tator tot casserole for example.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Ground turkey
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Mix ground turkey with eggs and spinach. Great protein breakfast that you can eat any time of the day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Meatballs. Whatever you do with it to mix with pasta but mixed with vegetables instead.

I had a lot more suggestions until I read 'veer away from carbs'.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    Meatballs, or mixed with taco seasoning and served with pepper, black beans and rice as your diet allows.
  • Jim_1000
    Jim_1000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Anything that requires ground beef can be substituted with turkey. We do fajitas and tacos with ground turkey. Also Chinese stir fry. Recently I've been buying green giant riced cauliflower. It's amazing with some soy sauce. 1 cup is 20 calories!!! Add a chicken or turkey breast and you have a filling low cal/fat meal.
  • horsmankt
    horsmankt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could make turkey burgers with spinach. I found a great recipe on YouTube. https://youtu.be/Vn20uhKnMyA
  • joelchmielak1
    joelchmielak1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey, chijuajua cheese, salsa, avocado, tomato and onion over greens. Little taco salad mash up that I like. Really filling. For more carbs I do brown rice instead of greens.
  • ikolorez
    ikolorez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using this recipe for turkey sausage in my breakfast burritos, it's really good.

Turkey Sausage

1 pound ground turkey
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
    1 teaspoon dried sage
    ¼ teaspoon fennel
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon olive oil

1. Place oil in a medium frying pan.
    2. Add turkey, salt, pepper, sage, fennel, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
    3. Mix together and cook over medium heat until fully cooked through. About 5-7 minutes.
    4. Eat or use as desired.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Another vote for taco salad (I don't use any shells). Also stuffed bell peppers. Or bell pepper nachos (cut them into little boats, put ground turkey on top, sprinkle some cheese, and bake).

I know you said ground turkey, but a meal I really enjoy with ground chicken is stuffed zucchini boats. Just cut a zucchini in half and hollow it out some to create a little boat. Cook the chicken on the stove top, and then mix with marinara and distribute into the zucchini. Bake until the zucchini is soft. You can even sprinkle some mozzarella or parmesean cheese on top. I always do it with chicken, but you could probably substitute turkey and it be just as good.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My lunch this week has been Spaghetti with Meat Sauce. Spaghetti squash for the spaghetti and ground turkey for the meat. Add in some mushrooms and low cal tomato sauce and voila.
  • grantsmommy
    grantsmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn’t sound appetizing but it is really good. It’s called GLOP. Lol. It stands for get lots of protein. You cook ground turkey and then mix in 8oz cottage cheese and 16oz jar salsa. The original recipe also calls for brown rice mixed in but I’m not a fan of rice. It doesn’t look pretty but tastes really good! I’m actually making it tonight.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn’t sound appetizing but it is really good. It’s called GLOP. Lol. It stands for get lots of protein. You cook ground turkey and then mix in 8oz cottage cheese and 16oz jar salsa. The original recipe also calls for brown rice mixed in but I’m not a fan of rice. It doesn’t look pretty but tastes really good! I’m actually making it tonight.

That sounds disgustingly good. I think I'm going to have to try it.
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like to make a tomato pasta sauce with ground turkey and diced tomatoes and serve it on roasted portabella caps with a little cheddar cheese broiled on top.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I make asian lettuce wraps...similar to PF Chang's version. Super quick and easy...even my kids like them.

Brown the ground turkey with a few tablespoons of soy ginger (or other similar asian style) salad dressing...I use Newman's Own or Ken's lite versions. Add a dollop of hoisin sauce if desired. I also like to add chopped water chestnuts.

Prepare a bagged chopped asian salad as directed (my supermarket carries Taylor Farms brand...I believe Dole and Fresh Express also make similar salads...but I suppose any cabbage slaw would work...you would just need to add additional asian dressing).

Mix the browned turkey with the salad. The warm ground turkey will slightly "cook" the cabbage mixture.

Make wraps with any larger leaf lettuce (iceberg, boston, bibb. butter, romaine...whatever your preference)...add hoisin to taste.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    For taco night we use ground turkey instead of beef. Can't really tell a difference with seasoning.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make a white chili recipe with Turkey and white beans. Delicious. Should be able to google a recipe.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    I make asian lettuce wraps...similar to PF Chang's version. Super quick and easy...even my kids like them.

Brown the ground turkey with a few tablespoons of soy ginger (or other similar asian style) salad dressing...I use Newman's Own or Ken's lite versions. Add a dollop of hoisin sauce if desired. I also like to add chopped water chestnuts.

Prepare a bagged chopped asian salad as directed (my supermarket carries Taylor Farms brand...I believe Dole and Fresh Express also make similar salads...but I suppose any cabbage slaw would work...you would just need to add additional asian dressing).

Mix the browned turkey with the salad. The warm ground turkey will slightly "cook" the cabbage mixture.

Make wraps with any larger leaf lettuce (iceberg, boston, bibb. butter, romaine...whatever your preference)...add hoisin to taste.

That sounds delicious!