How Many of Your Exercise Calories Do You Eat Back?

Options
I've heard varying stories on this. I've heard some say that you have to eat them all back, some say half, some are vague by just saying "some" of the calories, while other say none. I do most of my workouts after work, before dinner and I don't have enough room in my stomach to accommodate all the extra workout calories in one meal and evening snack. I'm trying to try more veggie varieties and eat better in general, so there's fewer calories already. What do you guys do?

Replies

• MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm working out late, I eat more earlier in the day. I eat back 50-100% of my calories because I'm just losing vanity weight and I'd rather have great workouts and lose 0.5 lbs/month than be hungry and lose 0.5/week.
    On Tuesdays, I do a BodyPump class after dinner. I know about what that's going to burn every time, since I've been doing it for more than a year, so I factor that into my planning for breakfast and lunch. And then some days I get home and get a cookie to bring my net calories up. :)

There's no set rule. You can start by eating back 100% of earned calories, give it 4-6 weeks, and see how your weight loss is responding. If it's nil or less than you expect, you can eat back 75%, give it 4-6, and check in again, etc. This is why different people have different answers - bodies are different, and peoples' estimations of calories in AND calories out can vary.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm working out late, I eat more earlier in the day. I eat back 50-100% of my calories because I'm just losing vanity weight and I'd rather have great workouts and lose 0.5 lbs/month than be hungry and lose 0.5/week.
    On Tuesdays, I do a BodyPump class after dinner. I know about what that's going to burn every time, since I've been doing it for more than a year, so I factor that into my planning for breakfast and lunch. And then some days I get home and get a cookie to bring my net calories up. :)

There's no set rule. You can start by eating back 100% of earned calories, give it 4-6 weeks, and see how your weight loss is responding. If it's nil or less than you expect, you can eat back 75%, give it 4-6, and check in again, etc. This is why different people have different answers - bodies are different, and peoples' estimations of calories in AND calories out can vary.

Of course this is obvious now that you say it! Haha! Does anyone not eat back their calories or eat back very few? Is that super bad for you?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    100% for me. Exercise calories taste the best.

NB: I do take care to make sure my numbers are reasonable.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Crap.

Half the reason I exercise is so I can eat more.

As to not eating them back, if you have an aggressive weight loss goal, and are sticking to the deficit MFP gave you, then not eating them back can lead to real health issues. You need to fuel your exercises.

I know I can leave some on the table as I'm ~210 and trying to lose 1 lb per week, so not that aggressive of a loss rate. But they also look pretty tempting when I want something sweet.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I try to keep at least a couple hundred under them, and less than 900 extra, but I'm not particularly anal about it. I just consider them to be my overflow buffer, lol.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em all.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been banking some of my exercise calories during the week for wine on the weekends. My net calories for Sunday - Wednesday have been trending under my goal and my net calories for Thurs-Sat have been over my goal. I have only been logging this way for 2 weeks now, so i won't really know if this will truly work for a few more weeks. So far so good though, I have lost about 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    100% - I like food and I like exercise so it's a perfect combination.
    300 hours of cycling last year (say 150,000 calories conservatively?) and perhaps 150 hours of strength training as my main two hobbies.

Food logging inaccuracy is a far bigger factor for most people but strangely doesn't get the same level of attention or blame for poor results as exercise estimation.

Do put some effort into making your estimates reasonable though. Part of the reason people have the weird, almost Puritanical attitude, to exercise calories is using poor estimating methods.

• sabal20
    sabal20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Eat what you need. I went for a walk today and had a snack when I got in. Hadn't planned it, but needed it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I usually eat (or drink) most of the exercise calories that I log into MFP but those calories are less than what the app or machines give me because I fear they may overestimate my burn. Tonight the treadmill gave me 243 calories burned. I logged 170 to be safe. I gave myself 50 calories for my strength training (about 25 minutes) for a total of 220.

I will probably consume most of them tonight via wine. Or maybe some ice cream. Or I might save some for tomorrow.

If I have plans to eat out in the next day or two I may not eat all my exercise calories and have them as a cushion in case I underestimate my calories when I eat out. :)
  • Khovde07
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    100% - I like food and I like exercise so it's a perfect combination.
    300 hours of cycling last year (say 150,000 calories conservatively?) and perhaps 150 hours of strength training as my main two hobbies.

Food logging inaccuracy is a far bigger factor for most people but strangely doesn't get the same level of attention or blame for poor results as exercise estimation.

Do put some effort into making your estimates reasonable though. Part of the reason people have the weird, almost Puritanical attitude, to exercise calories is using poor estimating methods.

Thanks for the advice! I have a Fitbit that measures me quite accurately and I'm careful about weighing and measuring all my food.

The kind of ridiculous issue that I'm running into is that I'm not really hungry enough to eat back my exercise calories. MFP has me at 1600 calories per day and I haven't been able to get up to that even without working out. Hubby and I have been making an effort to change what we eat as well (more veggies, a little less red meat, a few less bad carbs) which is giving us more food for less calories. For example, yesterday I ate my usual amount of calories for breakfast and lunch and had an afternoon snack before my workout. But I gained something like 700 extra calories which put me at something like 1,700 calories for dinner. I had as much food as I wanted and was full from dinner but was still 1200 calories under. I had to eat some ice cream that I didn't necessarily need to up my calories. The only time I can foresee adding more calories throughout the day is mid-morning when I'm a little hungry before lunch but that wouldn't add that much. Any advice on this?
  • hlfunnell
    hlfunnell Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Ah I literally just started a thread about this in the fitness section before I saw this post! I am in the same boat as you Khovde07 - exercise in the evening, use a fitbit and am very careful weighing all my ingredients. I find restricting my calories forces me to eat healthy so I do it, but then don't have room to eat them after my workout in the evening? Also worrying because I'm now getting super tired in the afternoon so I feel like that is my body telling me I should eat more earlier in the day, but don't want to over-eat and ruin all the effort going into exercising!
  • Khovde07
    Options
    hlfunnell wrote: »
    Ah I literally just started a thread about this in the fitness section before I saw this post! I am in the same boat as you Khovde07 - exercise in the evening, use a fitbit and am very careful weighing all my ingredients. I find restricting my calories forces me to eat healthy so I do it, but then don't have room to eat them after my workout in the evening? Also worrying because I'm now getting super tired in the afternoon so I feel like that is my body telling me I should eat more earlier in the day, but don't want to over-eat and ruin all the effort going into exercising!

This is so relatable it hurts... lol
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find my Fitbit to be quite accurate. I'm 5'4", 150lb and have lost 10lb at a rate of just over a 1lb a week. I've got MFP set to lose 1lb a week, but on sedentary, so have a daily allowance of 1200. There is no way I could only eat 1200 - well, I can, but I don't want to. So in comes my Fitbit steps and exercise burn (you're welcome to look at my diary, but ignore the last two weeks of logging, I've been on holiday without the Fitbit). I eat about 50- 75% of them and as I say, have been losing slightly faster than it suggests.
    I have been doing this long enough now to see the average daily burn so know that I can reasonably eat 1500 a day or so and still loose. This means I can splash out throughout the day - adding in the odd yogurt, biscuit, fruit, what ever - or choosing full fat (real?!) versions of stuff over the 'lighter' ones. So ultimately, play around and see. You're in this for the long haul, so if it takes a couple of months to work out what works for you, so be it (I know, easier said than done.)
    Good luck!
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. One. I wear an Apple Watch, which seems to be fairly accurate since I'm losing at about my expected rate.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    I've heard varying stories on this. I've heard some say that you have to eat them all back, some say half, some are vague by just saying "some" of the calories, while other say none. I do most of my workouts after work, before dinner and I don't have enough room in my stomach to accommodate all the extra workout calories in one meal and evening snack. I'm trying to try more veggie varieties and eat better in general, so there's fewer calories already. What do you guys do?

So I made a rule that has worked well for myself. I can eat back all of my exercise calories (although I'm rarely hungry enough to do that) ONLY IF they are nutritious. Meaning I can't use those *bonus* cals on cake, random ice creams, etc. it has to have a high protein or fiber content. Kind of a weird rule but I found it's what fuels my body best for good lifts and consistent energy.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A big part of why I exercise is so that I can eat more, so I eat back all of them. I'm already at a limit of 1200 net calories/day.
  • jaquieduck
    jaquieduck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Approximately half, which ends up being 3/4 or so because for some odd reason, early in the day my fitbit goes "Wow!! You're so active, eat! Eat! Eat!!" And then in the evening, when I sit around watching tv or read it starts to realize I'm not *that* active, and take exercise calories away.
    Example, last night, my fitbit calorie adjustment was 600+ calories. I was really hungry, so I ate all my remaining regular calories, and ~475 of the exercise calories. I went to bed with deficit of a little over 100 calories. This morning I synced my fitbit, went to look back at yesterday's diary, and found that my 100+ calorie deficit had turned into 49 calories over my goal. :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »

This depends on how accurate your estimates are and how much trust you have in them. Just logging from a database and blindly trusting the number isn't a particularly good strategy. There are numerous sources to reference to see if what you are logging is reasonable.

I pretty much ate all of my exercise calories back as my research indicated they were pretty reasonable estimates.