Help - Need Verification/Validation

Options
Background
Starting back in February, I have lost 56 pounds; going from 296 to 240. Most of that time, the weight loss was right around the targeted goal of 2 lbs per week.

Current Problem
Unfortunately, for the past several weeks, I have been teetering around the 240 lbs mark. I am guessing that this is a plateau or one of those "weight comfort zones" that my body is genetically predisposed . If it is a plateau, its most likely brought on by not eating enough of my activity calories (I'm guessing).

Solution
My thought was to temporarily adjust my goals from 2 lbs per week to 1 lb per week. In a way, I will be giving my body a chance to "stabilize"; and eliminate the possibility of "starvation mode." Then, in September, bring it back to 2 pounds per week to see if there is a difference.

Question
Does this solution sound? or am I missing something critically important?

Thanks

Replies

• hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well lowering expectations is good, rather than going "oh to hell with it", so not a bad idea I'd say.

But you could try shaking up your calories... maybe up them, then down them again. Or try alternating calories on different days if you're very consistent across the week.
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    fitnhealthyccthatsme Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm not expert, but I have been doing some reading about this topic. When I did an online search I found several websites that have what appears to be helpful information.

The following is from the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152/NSECTIONGROUP=2)

Reassess your habits. Look back at your food and activity records. Make sure you haven't loosened the rules, letting yourself get by with larger portions or less exercise.

Cut more calories. Reduce your daily calorie intake by 200 calories — provided this doesn't put you below 1,200 calories. Fewer than 1,200 calories a day may not be enough to keep you from feeling hungry all of the time, which increases your risk of overeating.

Rev up your workout. Increase the amount of time you exercise by an additional 15 to 30 minutes. You might also try increasing the intensity of your exercise, if you feel that's possible. Additional exercise will cause you to burn more calories.

Pack more activity into your day. Think outside the gym. Increase your general physical activity throughout the day by walking more and using your car less, or try doing more yardwork or vigorous spring cleaning.

Webmd has an article available at this link: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/10-ways-to-move-beyond-a-weight-loss-plateau

Hope this is of some help to you.
    :-) Cheryl
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My question is can't you just keep things the same and let the body do what it's going to do, trusting it will move on past the plateau when it's ready? I'm just curious.
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just found an article on this by a dietitian. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56582

Apparently as weight drops, your calorie needs drop or your exercise needs increase. I guess it's like what Weight Watchers does. As you drop weight, they drop the number of points you get. Makes sense.

Here's what the article says:

According to the experts, hitting these plateaus is nothing unusual. As your weight drops and your body composition changes, so do your nutritional needs. There are several reasons why your weight can hit a plateau:

-As your weight goes down, you not only lose fat but also a small amount of muscle. It's estimated that up to 25% of the body tissue lost during weight loss comes from muscle. Since muscle is critical to keeping your metabolism perking, losing it can reduce your metabolic rate and hinder weight loss. Strength training can help preserve and build muscle to get your metabolism humming again.
    - The set point theory alleges that your body naturally tries to maintain a certain weight where it is most comfortable. If you find yourself stuck at the same weight time and again, you may have reached the comfort zone. Reducing much further typically results in regaining weight.
    - You may need fewer calories or more physical activity to sustain your lower weight. This is the most likely cause of a weight-loss plateau. Further, it's almost impossible to lose much weight without exercising. Many scientists agree that whether you exercise is the best way to predict whether you'll successfully maintain your weight.
    -Other factors that can influence weight loss include thyroid or adrenal gland problems, medications you're taking, pregnancy, breastfeeding, menopause, and quitting smoking.

But more than likely, your weight is at a plateau because your portion sizes have crept up, and/or your workouts have decreased in intensity or frequency. You also may be indulging in high-calorie foods more often.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Wow, Cheryl has such good advise!
    I agree. Try to zig zag the workouts and food intakes.
    Personally, I have an intermittent fast one day a week. I have a normal breakfast and lunch and stop eating at 1pm and liquids only until breakfast the next day at 7am, for an 18 hour fast. I break my fast with a protein based breakfast. This way I bank a little extra calorie deficit each week with out the dreaded "starvation mode".
  • zglmom
    zglmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Doug, I was around 300 lbs.and lost really fast for a few months and then hit a plateau and didn't lose an ounce for three months. Your body has to adjust and it can take a few days to a few weeks. The secret is to eat right and exercise and do not give up or get discouraged. You will lose the weight if you continue on this healthy path you have chosen.