Thinking of getting a fitbit

Options
2»

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    kittiwakeh wrote: »
    I have a second hand fitbit one so it wasn't very expensive. It really helped when I was starting out improving my fitness and healthy eating as it showed me how little I was moving. Trying to reach the targets I set myself for step count and for stairs climbed really helped motivate me. Now a few years in its nice to have but isn't so useful as I have learnt from how my body feels to know how active or inactive I have been and my preferred exercise workouts don't necessarily generate many steps.

My suggestion would be to get a cheap second hand model and see if it's something that is useful. If it is you can then upgrade to one that has the features you want.

My fitbit one also has a sleep function but apart from the initial novelty I don't use it so paying money to get specific features I am in the long term not bothered about is a waste of money.

This is exactly what I've been doing. I bought a knockoff about a week ago for under $30; the brand I bought was Letsfit, which I found on Amazon. It's not fancy but it does steps, heart rate, workouts, calories burned: the basic stuff. It gets the job done. I might use part of the tax return to get an Apple watch. Until then, I'm content with this unit.
  • Beaudom91
    Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit! I don't take too much notice pf the calorie burn side of it, since that can be off... but I find it really motivating to stay active. It keeps me accountable a pushes me to keep challenging myself
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use my Fitbit Alta solely to make sure I am moving more during the day and getting my 10,000 steps in, as having a desk job is inherently sedentary. But I do not rely on any of the other data because I find it highly unreliable. At one point last week, it was registering some of my more contentious work phone calls as exercise, lol, so even my minutes of exercise are inaccurate!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have a charge hr
    Love participating in challenges, forces me to go walk more
    Heart rate function is useful for me. I have a condition I'll start with just vague symptoms that could be anything but if I'm sat on my butt with a heart rate over 120 I know its that and to take meds

But I've had it replaced a couple times as its come apart, had to spend half an hour with thier tech department trying to get the darn thing to sync properly after 3 days of it not connecting

Their customer service is great but the product itself really should last longer for the amount it costs
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YIPPPPEE!, I got the charge 2 and its changed my life!, and the social side to it IS SO SO FUN!, I met so many great people!, who really really care!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit force and when the rash issue started I just alternated wrists until it stopped give me the rash. That broke and I upgraded to the Blaze. I really like the heart rate monitor and when I am in my groove I try to hit 10K steps before the sun comes up. Pros, I enjoy it and it does motivate me to increase activity. Cons, It does cost some money and needs to be charged twice a week.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When fitness trackers started becoming popular, I held off because I didn't see the need for it.

Then I got a Fitbit Charge and now I have an Alta. I seriously love my tracker. As others have mentioned, the Charge was not a great build and the band kept coming apart; I went through several. When they introduced the Alta, I bought that one (without HR). The band is so much better, and I like the slimmer design.

I think it's made a huge difference in getting me to move more in general. I actually moved more than I thought and was not sedentary, despite my desk job, but I was still only maybe lightly active. Now my target is 12k steps M-F and 15k Sat/Sun. I sync it with MFP and I eat those calories and lose as predicted. While they can have inaccuracies, mine has been pretty on target.

If you decide to get one, realize that it can take a bit of time to adjust to you. You might get inflated numbers the first couple of weeks, but it should settle after that.

ETA: I've seen some people mention they have found success with accuracy by entering their height as one inch shorter than they are. I used to lift and not enter those workouts, now I do bodyweight exercises and don't enter those. I just let Fitbit pick it up as steps. That works for me.
  • l4ur4j4d4
    l4ur4j4d4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my fitbit! Obsessed with it, and it definitely gives you the motivation to try and beat your step count the day before. Love wearing it at night aswell to see how I’m sleeping
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    i have the fitbt charge 2- love mine-
  • jaquieduck
    jaquieduck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the flex 2. I have no desire for the screen on my wrist and don't care for the way the big fitbits look or feel. I love the minimal design. I got it in October, and it's definitely helped me be more active, as well as helping me understand that my actual activity level may be very different from my perceptions. Often, I am surprised by how many steps I got, or, I have a busy day at work, but it's mostly standing, and I don't realize how few steps I actually took.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've had the Charge2 for a year and really like it. I said I'd never get one until I could get a wrist worn HR monitor and I'm glad I waited. I don't want an Ionic, too many bells and whistles for me. The Charge2 is perfect.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Got one for my birthday :D
  • SusanMcMc
    SusanMcMc Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a zip, charge hr, and Alta. Like others have mentioned, the charge is poorly engineered and falls apart. The Alta is much better in that respect and you can easily change the bands. I’ve been debating whether or not to upgrade to an Alta hr just to track the intensity of my workouts but from what I understand, the hr models will interfere more with calorie accuracy on MFP because I do lift weights. So for now I’m sticking with the plain Alta until I hit my weight loss goals.

Pros: encouragement to move hourly, cute watch, step duels with friends, sleep tracking, silent alarms.
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got the Fitbit Charge 2 last weekend as it was on sale for $50 off at a local store. I had a vivosmart watch 3 years ago (which I killed after a year as I forgot I was wearing it and went swimming with it on).

For me, the pros:
    Step count
    Heart rate monitor is curiosity-satisfying, not sure how accurate
    Silent alarms
    Phone call notifications
    Syncs with MFP
    Sleep report

The Cons:
    Alternate / non-rubber wrist bands are EXPENSIVE
    I find it a wee bit too big
    I don’t like the available watch faces
    Because of the HR monitor, it needs a snug fit, which is uncomfortable at times

It can be a useful tool but it’s not necessary for weight loss.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love mine. It helps keep me motivated. I started at 4,000 steps or so and now have gone as high as 17 or 18000 on some days. I got it for christmas a year or two ago, rarely used it, and pulled it out again in January. Should have started sooner. I have the fit bit charge 2
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It will give you a better idea of your burns than the MFP database or gym machines, but you'll still have to keep an eye on the numbers and experiment with how many exercise cals you choose to eat back and find where the truth is. I recommend it, more data = always good in my opinion!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I just got the Alta HR yesterday and I'm really liking it. I always assumed my TDEE was 1700, based on several online calculators so I was curious to see what the Fitbit would put me at. And drumroll, please... Yesterday it was 1703! I'm happy to know I was on the right track.

It seems like a good little gadget and I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works during excercise. I also like that it links up to MFP.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old Surge. It's amazing. I love it. Once the band got worn out I removed it and bought a cute lavender one on Amazon for 8 bucks.