Bought a hula hoop!

Options
So, after doing some reading online regarding hula hooping for weight loss, I decided to take the plunge and go buy myself a weighted hula hoop. I got a 3lb one. I won't be doing it as my main source of exercise, but more so as a supplement to my normal routine. My plan is to do the hula hoop in the mornings, M-F, anywhere from 5-30 minutes.
I did it over the weekend, and I can really feel it in my abs! Not sure if it's from the weight of the hoop or what, but it's fun, and hopefully I'll see some difference in my mid section in a month or so!

Replies

• ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My mom had limited space for exercise and bought one of those as well. She liked it a lot! Have fun! :smile:
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    Can't wait to hear the update! Good luck.
  • toofat2toofit
    toofat2toofit Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about the benefits of hula hooping. Can you please tell me where I can get the weighted hula hoop? Good luck!
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    So, after doing some reading online regarding hula hooping for weight loss, I decided to take the plunge and go buy myself a weighted hula hoop. I got a 3lb one. I won't be doing it as my main source of exercise, but more so as a supplement to my normal routine. My plan is to do the hula hoop in the mornings, M-F, anywhere from 5-30 minutes.
    I did it over the weekend, and I can really feel it in my abs! Not sure if it's from the weight of the hoop or what, but it's fun, and hopefully I'll see some difference in my mid section in a month or so!

christmas... comes this time each year... me i want a hula hoop...

Keep informed.. sounds interesting..
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a fun workout ... I have NEVER in my life been able to keep a hula hoop up though. I think it is related to the fact that I have no curves, very athletic build and must have been given a quadruple dose of noassatall at birth because I am all gut and NO butt!
  • ohiomom0503
    ohiomom0503 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about the benefits of hula hooping. Can you please tell me where I can get the weighted hula hoop? Good luck!

I'm not sure what stores you have near you. I got mine at a sporting goods store...Dunham's. I've seen them also at McSport's. I would imagine that D I C K S Sporting Goods has them as well.
    They also have them on amazon.com, walmart.com...I actually found several site when I was looking online for information
  • ammient3
    ammient3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have one too, but in the database it doesn't give any info on how to add it to your exercise.... I logged under Wii hula hoop but I know it's not the same!
  • ammient3
    ammient3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Walmart has 3lbs for $15.00!
  • Merodie
    Merodie Posts: 21
    Options

christmas... comes this time each year... me i want a hula hoop...

Keep informed.. sounds interesting..

:bigsmile: Now I will have this song stuck in my head all day !!! :laugh:
  • Jthurston1
    Jthurston1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun change up to normal "workouts!" I have to get one! :)
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    LOVE my hoop!! I have a 5 pound hoop and I try to use it for about 15 minutes a day - try!

I can't use a regular hoop (you know, the kids plastic ones) I can't keep it going, but I have no trouble at all with the weighted ones.

Enjoy!
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Can you still hula hoop if your stomach isnt flat?
  • ohiomom0503
    ohiomom0503 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can you still hula hoop if your stomach isnt flat?

My stomach is no where near flat!
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    oooh what fun! I keep thinking I should try this. I have facebook friends who do this. Only there really isn't room to do it inside and it will be too cold to do outside within just a few months. :/ Keep me posted though!

I was suprised to see that the cheapest you can get a 3lb hula hooop on amazon is for 23 dollars. that is normally my go-to place for random things.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap water weighted hula hoop and I LOVE it! Great ab workout for sure. You can see (and feel) a difference if you do it for 20-30 mins!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I tell myself I can’t sit around & watch TV so I either hula hoop or use the exercise ball at that time. It really makes the exercise a breeze.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    im going to take mine out of the cupboard tonight
    thanks for reminding me how fun it is. when i used it before it took around 3-4 week before my waist started to appear x
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to start hula hooping for exercise/core strengthening, but been scared to try because I'm afraid I'll be embarrassed if I can't keep it going because of my gut chunk :(
  • ido10612
    ido10612 Posts: 51
    Options
    Dido Seajolly. I have a water weighted one. 5 bucks at walmart! lol. I love to put on some music and hula hoop/ dance for a few songs. Its has become a challenge for me to do dance moves while hula hooping without dropping my hoop! Really fun workout! But how do you track it as exercise on here? When you search hula hoop in the database the only thing that comes up is wii hula hoop. This is how ive been tracking it but does it burn the same amount of calories
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You can try this for calculating cals. burned.

Hula hooping at a lower intensity has a MET value of 3.0 while a moderately high intensity yields a MET value of 6.0.

Step 1
    Determine your exercise intensity. A low intensity in which you are moving but not working hard has a MET equivalent of 3.0. This may be the case when you are a beginner still learning the technique. A moderate intensity requires more effort, which will likely result in an increased breathing rate and has a MET equivalent of 6.0. This would be the case with a person who has been hooping for awhile and is able to hula hoop for a decent amount of time without stopping. If you are in between these two abilities, use a MET level of 4.0 or 5.0, depending on what end of the spectrum you are on.

Step 2
    Get an exact measure of body weight and convert it to kilograms. Divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms. For example, a 140-lb. person weighs 63.64kg (140/2.2 = 63.64).

Weighted Sports Hoops Weighted sports hula hoops for weight loss exercise and have fun www.sports-hoop.com
    Sponsored Links
    Step 3
    Use the following equation based on the MET level of activity to calculate the number of calories burned per minute of hula hooping:

(METs x 3.5 x body weight in kg)/200 = calories/minute

For example, a 64kg person hula hooping at a moderately high intensity would burn:

(6 x 3.5 x 64)/200 = 6.72 calories/minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the calories burned during your hula hooping session by multiplying the number of calories per minute by the number of minutes in your session.

For example, if the above person hula hooped for 30 minutes, then he would burn 202 calories (6.72 calories/minute x 30 min = 202 calories).

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/89945-calculate-calories-burned-hula-hoop/#ixzz1UeZxPTSq