How long do hunger pangs last

Options
I jumped back on the bandwagon 2-3 weeks ago and up until now I've promptly addressed every hunger pang with a light snack or a meal due to a fear of plummeting blood sugar. I've been feeling pretty good recently though, and now I'm trying to test the stability of my blood sugar. So, today I ignored my mid-morning snack and while my blood sugar appears to be fine (no weakness or lightheadness) the hunger pangs have set in. We're going on an hour and a half of stomach pangs and a little uneasiness (not quite nausea) and I'm curious if anyone knows how long it takes before the stomach pangs cease (or if they don't cease and you just get used to them).

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    First of all... make sure you've set a reasonable calorie deficit that isn't too aggressive.

For overweight/obese people, aiming to lose 1% of your body weight (in pounds) per week is a good goal. Once you're down to a healthy BMI, switching to 0.5lbs per week may be more reasonable.

Assuming you're at a reasonable deficit, finding particular ways of eating to increase satiety could help you out.

1. Intermittent fasting/meal timing: I hate going to bed with a rumbly stomach, so I skip breakfast to allow myself more calories in the evening.

2. More satiating foods: with some trial and error, you can figure out what keeps you full the longest. For me personally, lean proteins, eggs and oatmeal keep me very full. Others like to load up on lots of fresh veggies to fill their stomach for fewer calories. Some find high-fat foods like avocado very filling.

3. Adjustment period: After a couple weeks of eating at a calorie deficit, your body should adjust to your new intake and the hunger pangs will lessen.

Good luck!
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Mine kind of come and go, but a month of IF has made them basically a non-issue. They're easy to ignore the vast majority of the time and I've found there's often kind of a peak that I hit, and once I've willed my way through that peak it subsides quite a bit. If they get to be too much, I just eat earlier. I do get nauseous sometimes if I don't eat, though it's not as bad as it was when I was younger(actually relatively rare now), and something with carbonation in it(like sparkling water) calms it down.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When I get hungry mid morning I eat some almonds. Any tree nut will supply some bulk and fat to top off the tank.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Make sure you’re getting enough water, thirst can cause hunger pangs as well. Maybe start with a glass of water or a cup of tea and see if that helps.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I can deal with mild hunger, but if it starts getting bad (like my own arm starts to look tasty) then it's time to eat something, because in another hour or so, that's going to turn into a case of the shakes, light headedness, etc. When I wasn't working out like I am now, it wasn't as big of a deal, but now those reactions are definitely worse, so I eat.

Most days not an issue as I have my meals and snacks planned to keep me pretty well satisfied, or the hunger is predictable and I know there's a meal coming (for example, I'm always starting to get hungry about 1-1 1/2 hours before lunch), but it's never ravenous. If I'm getting to ravenous, then it's time to eat something.

I also find there are simply days were I'm not able to keep my deficit going and just have to eat closer to (or at) maintenance. You're not going to lose ground doing that on occasion - won't gain ground, but you're not going to lose ground, either.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    TurtleTape wrote: »
    Mine kind of come and go, but a month of IF has made them basically a non-issue. They're easy to ignore the vast majority of the time and I've found there's often kind of a peak that I hit, and once I've willed my way through that peak it subsides quite a bit. If they get to be too much, I just eat earlier. I do get nauseous sometimes if I don't eat, though it's not as bad as it was when I was younger(actually relatively rare now), and something with carbonation in it(like sparkling water) calms it down.

That's really insightful. You've got me curious about intermittent fasting. Thanks!
  • kagenw
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    First of all... make sure you've set a reasonable calorie deficit that isn't too aggressive.

3. Adjustment period: After a couple weeks of eating at a calorie deficit, your body should adjust to your new intake and the hunger pangs will lessen.

Good luck!

I anticipate that I will run into this when myfitnesspal has me adjust my goals again (currently using its suggested values for 1lb/week). Thanks for the insight.
  • kagenw
    Options
    I can deal with mild hunger, but if it starts getting bad (like my own arm starts to look tasty) then it's time to eat something, because in another hour or so, that's going to turn into a case of the shakes, light headedness, etc. When I wasn't working out like I am now, it wasn't as big of a deal, but now those reactions are definitely worse, so I eat.

Interesting, so you've noticed that you get the low blood sugar symptoms now that you're working out more and, presumably, healthier?
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    kagenw wrote: »
    I anticipate that I will run into this when myfitnesspal has me adjust my goals again (currently using its suggested values for 1lb/week). Thanks for the insight.

That means your body is burning about 500 calories more than you’re eating every single day. Why on earth would you expect not to be hungry? I’d be concerned about you if you weren’t.

Finding a reduced-calorie diet you can stick with usually means finding ways to keep hunger manageable: eating more frequently, or eating lots of protein, or whatever works for you. But hunger doesn’t—or shouldn’t—just stop. It’s your body’s way of telling you it wants food, and as long as you’re in a deficit, your body wants more food.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Years for me, but depends on the person I think.

You mention blood sugar... are you diabetic? If yes, which type? What are you taking to manage it? If insulin, how are you taking it (MDI or pump) and which types? Blood sugar is a different issue altogether than hunger. As a type 1, I know I'm hungry when hyperglycemic as well as hypoglycemic. It's a symptom and not a cause as I think you are suggesting. But I also know that BG management is about much more than just food.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Have you had issues with low blood sugar in the past? I only ask because you specifically mentioned it, and appear to be concerned that it could be an issue if you skip snacks. I've skipped plenty of snacks (and meals for that matter) and never had a problem with weakness or light-headedness. However, if you are prone to lows and need snacks to keep your levels stable, I'd suggest you plan accordingly, have your snacks, and eat slightly smaller meals to make up for them.

As for feeling hungry, it did seem to be worse when I first began eating at a deficit. I still get hungry sometimes, but normal it's-almost-time-for-dinner hungry (usually - hormonal fluctuations notwithstanding, but you shouldn't have that problem :wink: )
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    kagenw wrote: »

Interesting, so you've noticed that you get the low blood sugar symptoms now that you're working out more and, presumably, healthier?

Has historically been an issue for me when I was training hard - mind you, by training hard, I mean training hard. As in, athletic type training, not just a person looking to get fit training.

All my tests have always looked great, and eating has always solved it, so I've never really worried about it and just accepted that's the way my body is.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I know snacking has a bad rap (come at me, woo-er!), but if you are mindful about it, snacking can be a great way to manage hunger for some people. I pre-measured snacks, and have worked out what I find most satiating (fat!) and just work them into my calories. This might not work for people who need more volume to stay full, and there aren’t any miracles to eating frequently, but it’s also not the fast track to weight gain I think some people fear.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you are in need of losing weight, it's very possible that what you are perceiving as hunger is boredom or fantasy or some other psychological gremlin. I say that because I've lost a lot and still have more to lose. Hunger? No. Boredom, yes. Fantasy, yes. Circadian, maybe so.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    No one ever seems to think of this as a non-diabetic - I guess people are scared of poking themselves - but if you are interested in your blood sugar levels, you can get a testing kit for ten bucks at Walmart. It's kind of nice to have valid feedback from your body instead of trying to guess about what you feel like and what it signifies.

If you are healthy and not on any meds, your liver and pancreas should correct low blood sugar fairly promptly, within fifteen minutes. But a small snack will fix the problem of feeling shaky after working out - I carry a roll of smarties candy, which is basically sugar tablets. For twenty calories I can quickly bring my levels back up to normal. Or even better, have some protein and carbs - a glass of milk or Greek yogurt with berries both make an ideal post-workout snack.

Hunger pangs are different, and have to do with hormone levels. A few high fat nuts work to calm them down for a lot of people.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I am never sure what people are talking about when they say "hunger pangs." If my stomach is growling, I'm hungry, and I need to eat. I space my food out to allow for between meal snacks.

Are people talking about actual stomach pain? Because that isn't something I've ever felt because I was hungry.

Otherwise, if I just "want to eat", then unless my stomach is growling, I'm not hungry. So I don't.