Is Your Fat Uneven?

Options
My fat has always been uneven. Not noticeable when clothed, but when nekkid - another story. I have a larger saddle bag on my right side, my lower stomach pooch leans to the right, my love handles (which are now nearly gone) were always right-side dominant.

I always wondered what kind of freak genetic code caused that and then I woke up this morning and realized that my left hip (that I had been sleeping on all night) hurt.

"Man, I should sleep on my right side more often since I've got more padding there," I thought to myself. Then the light bulb turned on. X-D

I have no scientific studies to back this, but I truly believe that I CAUSED this odd distribution of fat because I favor sleeping on my left side. Always have. And during that third (or more) of the day that I've spent most of my life squishing all created fat took the path of least resistance and formed on my right side. Oops? :-/

Any of you unevenly distributed? What side do you sleep on?

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to be a little uneven.

My fat/muscle is uneven in spots around my body. My left pec is bigger, some is fat, some is muscle.

Very few people are gonna have near perfect symmetry.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Left side of my tummy sticks out more than the right. Always has, even thin. Not to mention the asymmetry everywhere else. XD

But I seriously was wondering about the sleeping thing this week, too! It's so funny you mention it. I always sleep on my stomach and I've (weirdly) never had rolls. I couldn't help but wonder! haha You might be on to something...
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's normal. I looked pretty symetrical until I started LOSING weight. Now my left thigh is smaller than my right one, and my left arm is bigger than my right arm. We're normal :)
  • leebluejay
    Options
    I don't know if that's possible or not, but I've had a lot of physical therapy for symmetry issues in my hips (running injuries) and if you are that asymmetrical, it could cause you soon injuries down the road after you exercise for a while. You may want to ask a doctor about that just to be sure it's not throwing your alignment off. Just a thought!

To answer your question -- as far as I know, I'm pretty symmetrical. If there are differences, they aren't visible to me. Hope that helps!
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    Options
    2 things: I think it is better for your heart if you sleep on on your R. side
    & is this why some people have flat butts? (You got me curious) I have a round butt that's gotten big the last 5 years, but had taken to sleeping on my back years ago, to eliminate creases in the decolletage area, when I first started gaining weight.) Fat can "crease", too. Some people have long facial creases from sleeping on their sides (my first husband.)
  • ElizabethJ17
    ElizabethJ17 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Im a stomch sleeper.... Hmm so that is why my tummy is so large lol. Everything makes sense now : )
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    Yes! lol
  • Clevrow
    Clevrow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mine totally is! I was just looking at my progress pictures and noticed that my fat sticks out more on my right side than on my left! It's disturbing to me... I must fix this!
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    Left side of my tummy sticks out more than the right. Always has, even thin. Not to mention the asymmetry everywhere else. XD

But I seriously was wondering about the sleeping thing this week, too! It's so funny you mention it. I always sleep on my stomach and I've (weirdly) never had rolls. I couldn't help but wonder! haha You might be on to something...

I wish i could say the same...i've always slept on my stomach and that's where most my fat is!! It's good to find someone else who sleeps on their stomach - my fiance doesn't understand it!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    mine is uneven.

i dont' think it has anything to do with sleeping.
    everyone favours a side (check out how many reps you can do of a weight on your left vs your right arm) your favoured arm will be stronger, no doubt, the one you do everything with... same with the rest of your body, you will likely favour one side and one side will have better muscle tone than the other unless you actively do everything equally.

you'd probably find that you always lean to one side a bit or put more weight on one leg when standing as well.
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    exactly the same! i sleep on my left side too

i just thought i was a weirdo with my bellybutton slightly on the right
  • lelaluv
    lelaluv Posts: 2
    Options
    mine sticks out on my left side always has. i thought i was the only one haha
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My stomach is bigger on the left side. I don't notice it when I look in the mirror, but when I lie down in a shallow bathtub, it sticks out of the water and my right side doesn't.
  • zacpants
    Options
    My stomach is bigger on the left side. I don't notice it when I look in the mirror, but when I lie down in a shallow bathtub, it sticks out of the water and my right side doesn't.

Same with me although i do notice it when looking down.

Thinking about it when insit curled up and sleep it's always leaning on my left side! The wii fit always says I put more pressure on my left side! Inhale oly noticed it since I had my daugter, could pregnancy be linked!
  • pcartmell
    pcartmell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine is uneven too
    Just did a Google search and found this. Thank God. I thought I was the only one. So what do we do about it? I'm gonna switch sides I sleep on and see if it makes a difference.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    I know this post is old, but I was googling and cam across it. I'm glad that im not the only one. My right side fat seems larger than the left, so of course I've been stressing out that its swollen LOL. Glad I'm not alone
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    No one is symmetrical, just a fact of life!
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My fat isn't symmetrical but I put it down to carrying kids on my right hip for the last 3 years.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Of course does pressure on the body influence its shape. That's how corsets work, too. If you wear a corset for more than 8 hours a day for several months, your waist also gets smaller permanently. So it's not absurd at all to expect your preferred sleeping position of many years to have an effect.