Calling all veg*ns ... What's the go with seitan??

Options
I went a little crazy at the asian supermarket the other day and bought a truck load of seitan, as I have never seen it elsewhere. I had some of it for lunch today, and it tasted...actually not tasted, cos that would imply it had a taste, FELT like i was chewing on erasers.

Any tips for how to cook this stuff? I just fried it with a little oil and mexican seasoning for a burrito.

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    bumping because I'd like to know too

I always love it when it's served in my college cafeteria, I don't know how they cook it though.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    *crickets chirp*
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If it's too tough, you can fix that by simmering it. If it's also flavorless, you can fix that at the same time by highly flavoring the simmering liquid.

After that when you fry it (or cook using another method) you can also try cooking it longer, and cutting it thin.

It's kind of the opposite of meat, it gets less tough the longer you cook it instead of the other way around.
  • greensnow
    Options
    I'd like to know too..
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    I make this all the time. It's fast, easy and so tasty...Enjoy :)

Kale and Seitan

Ingredients :

1 huge bunch of kale (about 8 to 10 cups sliced)
    2 cups seitan, sliced, cubed or chopped
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon ginger
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar

Directions:

1) Clean and chop kale. Steam for 5 to 10 minutes, or until bright green and soft. You could also dunk it in boiling water for a couple of minutes, uncovered, until bright green if you don't have a steamer.

2) Meanwhile, slice the onion into thin half moons and mince the garlic and ginger. Heat the oils in a large skillet or wok over medium heat and add the onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are just translucent. Add sliced seitan (if it is packaged in water, drain it first) and stir to heat though.

3) Around this time the kale should be done. Take the kale and add it to the skillet/wok and stir to combine. Heat for a couple more minutes or until kale is done to your liking. I tend to like it pretty "crunchy."

4) Turn off heat. Sprinkle on the soy sauce and rice vinegar and stir to mix everything together. Enjoy!

You may want to add the soy sauce and vinegar to taste. I have given approximate measures but I don't measure it.

Makes: 3 to 4 servings, Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Carolina-style Barbeque Sandwiches

1 cup apple cider vinegar
    2/3 cup no-salt-added ketchup
    1/4 cup yellow mustard
    3 Tbs. dark brown sugar
    1 Tbs. molasses
    2 tsp. Louisiana-style hot sauce
    2 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. salt
    12 oz. seitan, cut into thin strips
    4 hamburger-style buns
    12 pickle chips, optional
    1 cup prepared coleslaw, optional

Bring vinegar, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, molasses, hot sauce, black pepper, and salt to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes. Transfer 1 cup sauce to bowl, and set aside. Add seitan to saucepan, and cook 10 minutes. Divide among buns. Serve with pickle chips, coleslaw, and extra sauce, if using.
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bumping for the recipes*
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Newly vegan here, I'll definitely have to check out Asian grocery stores b/c this was $4.50 for 2 or so pieces at Loblaws and I thought that was a bit of a rip off (being 2x the cost of chicken) and I was going to try making it instead with gluten flour as per recipes I found.

Check out food.com for a bunch of great recipes or thekindlife.com BUT I just perused that one for you and quickly I didn't notice a seitan one, weird.
  • katevonr
    katevonr Posts: 27
    Options
    I like to slice it thin and stir fry it with sesame oil and whatever veggies I have around. I also cook it in taco seasoning and make tacos. Or cook it in like a kung pao chicken recipe.