does losing weight cause a lighter period?

Options
Iwantahealthierme30
Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Any experiences with this? All of a sudden my period is lighter after being heavy for so long, does it have to do with what I'm eating, weight loss, or what? I've lost 15 pounds. I'm 215 now and I'm 5'5". Not on birth control of any kind.

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Could be. Changes in weight definitely affect hormones. I have PCOS and my body will only consider ovulation below 210 lbs. I conceived both of my children upon hitting exactly 207. It seemed to be a fertility on/off switch. So I wouldn’t be surprised if it was changing things for you.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Any experiences with this? All of a sudden my period is lighter after being heavy for so long, does it have to do with what I'm eating, weight loss, or what? I've lost 15 pounds. I'm 215 now and I'm 5'5". Not on birth control of any kind.

I had this same issue when I was in a deep cut. I was eating around 1,300 calories but running for 45-60 minutes and lifting for 90-120 minutes per day, very strictly. I ended up skipping my period two months in a row. Some doctor told me that I had PCOS (with NO actual symptoms..) and upon getting a second opinion I was told to either up cals or decrease time at the gym. Did just that and BAM. Back to normal once again.

Commonly girls in bikini prep will have wonky periods. When you get to a low BF% and are strenuously working out your muscles it can throw off hormones.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I lost 59lbs, copper IUD (no hormones) and my period is just as heavy as it was when I was 221lbs. I've heard however that having a large calorie deficit for an extended period of time can cause your body to conserve energy and the menstrual cycle can be one of those processes that stops. Which would be a problem. You've lost 15lbs though and I'm not sure how long you've been cutting calories so I doubt that's what is happening.

Might be something you should bring up to your Dr!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I do competitions and when I cut/prep - or when my body fat % is drastically reduced my period vanishes entirely. For me personally it comes down to body fat. Too little and my monthly is non-existent. Borderline and I'll get a little spotty for a day or two. Enough body fat and it's back regularly.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Losing weight made mine more regular, swapping to csp lightened and shortened them
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I lost 59lbs, copper IUD (no hormones) and my period is just as heavy as it was when I was 221lbs. I've heard however that having a large calorie deficit for an extended period of time can cause your body to conserve energy and the menstrual cycle can be one of those processes that stops. Which would be a problem. You've lost 15lbs though and I'm not sure how long you've been cutting calories so I doubt that's what is happening.

Might be something you should bring up to your Dr!

I've been tested for PCOS because of heavy periods often a week late. I don't have it. I do have a small ovarian cyst though - not big enough for treatment. I thought weight loss was regulating my period because I had it exactly the same day in December as November but now this one was 3 days late and light. I've been cutting for 69 days but nothing severe, around 1600 calories
  • namasara
    namasara Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it causes a lighter period, but it certainly changes your period!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    namasara wrote: »
    I don't know if it causes a lighter period, but it certainly changes your period!

Yes, I'd say the same thing. I've had late periods, early periods, short, long, heavy and light while at a deficit. I even had night sweats which I had attributed to possible peri menopause, but it all went back to normal when I reverted to more calories and gained weight back. Now I'm at a deficit again, and having wonkier cycles and night sweats again (not frequently, tho).
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Losing weight made mine more regular, swapping to csp lightened and shortened them

What is csp?
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options

Not for me. It is normal but it might change when I lose a lot more weight and get closer to goal.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Weight loss messes with my period. Lighter? Maybe. I've gone through all kinds of changes with it. Also, just getting older changes it too.

When I'm in a deep deficit my period gets light. When I'm super lean it vanishes. I know it's probably not the healthiest but my periods are so drastic and painful, I almost prefer it :(
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options

What is csp?

Cloth sanitary protection

Over the years I was getting allergic reactions to disposables, could no longer use any brand so I swapped to cloth though others use cups, sponges etc
  • bbell1985
    Options

What is csp?

Over the years I was getting allergic reactions to disposables, could no longer use any brand so I swapped to cloth though others use cups, sponges etc

Oh my!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

What is csp?

Oh my!

I know it seems radical, but switching to a Diva Cup changed my life, too. I was also having... unpleasant... reactions to traditional pads and tampons. Some women report a lighter flow, but I'm not that lucky. It did help some with cramps though.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

What is csp?

Oh my!

I know it seems radical, but switching to a Diva Cup changed my life, too. I was also having... unpleasant... reactions to traditional pads and tampons. Some women report a lighter flow, but I'm not that lucky. It did help some with cramps though.

I've come to term with the diva cup. But the disposables is...different.

I don't think I could deal with the cup. Like...how am I going to work with kids all day and then go squat 200+ pounds with that thing in? Seems messy.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

What is csp?

Oh my!

I don't think I could deal with the cup. Like...how am I going to work with kids all day and then go squat 200+ pounds with that thing in? Seems messy.

It can be, at first, since there is a learning curve. Public restroom can be challenging, but I can even manage that now. I'm lucky to have a private restroom at work. I use backup on heavy days (cloth as well, but I also used cloth diapers on my youngest kiddo and am not the least bit squicky about that sort of thing) but don't need anything else after day 2.5ish.

Not sure sure about squatting 200+ pounds since I don't :smile:
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Yep could definitely be due to weight loss and calorie restriction. Mine gets pretty light/skips months when I’m cutting and pretty lean. I think it’s great personally lol. I wish I could get rid of it altogether, it’s so annoying every month.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options

What is csp?

Oh my!

Eh the cloth is same shape as disposables but feels a hell of a lot nicer

Zipped wet bag when out for the used ones and throw it in wet box to soak in cold salt water at home

I wash them separately as I can't deal with the thought of washing them with my clothes

• G8r4evr
    G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It's nice to know it's not just me. My first low carb month was early and light. 2nd month I went to counting calories, not much weight loss yet, and it was early again, but pretty normal flow. This month is my first month with a big weight loss and it was a little early, but only lasted a day?? I usually bleed for 7. I was at a big deficit most of the month, I'm guessing that is why...