Everything is harder after 30

I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not worry about it. People would get mad at me all the time for being so small. I had a physical job too so I guess that helped. Then I turned 30, got a desk job and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I'm 35 now and I'm 25lbs heavier than I had been for the rest of my adult life. I'd like to do something about it so here I am. My sister just lost ten pounds using this site so maybe it can work for me too. I'm 5'2" and 130 lbs. I don't care if I get back down to my usual 105lbs, I'd just like to get my abs back and be a bit healthier.

Replies

• AmandaGarcia9999
    AmandaGarcia9999 Posts: 134 Member
    I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not worry about it. People would get mad at me all the time for being so small. I had a physical job too so I guess that helped. Then I turned 30, got a desk job and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I'm 35 now and I'm 25lbs heavier than I had been for the rest of my adult life. I'd like to do something about it so here I am. My sister just lost ten pounds using this site so maybe it can work for me too. I'm 5'2" and 130 lbs. I don't care if I get back down to my usual 105lbs, I'd just like to get my abs back and be a bit healthier.

You can do it. I feel the same way i was so thin a fit at 25 then i got pregnant with my two kids and life happened now at 33 im about 50 pounds heavier then i was at 25. Its depressing at times, but thats why im here. For motivation! Good luck on your journey.
  • Backcountry451
    Backcountry451 Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Oy vey- wait till you hit 50!

But seriously- not everything is harder. Life only gets better, really! As you get older, you stop caring about what other people think. You realize mostly they are not thinking of you. You know what your own priorities are, and you have no problem sticking by them. Etc etc.

Regarding out weight- yeah that does get harder, sort of. By which I mean, the older we get, the less we have to eat in order to maintain. That part is true. I think for most of us, if we keep eating the same amount, we gradually gain weight. On the other hand, all this time you've been learning. This site is great for that! If you use it well, and use it consistently, you will not only lose the weight you want, but you will regain control. That's the best part. Best wishes for your journey!
  • Shugahhfatt
    Shugahhfatt Posts: 73 Member
    lol I feel ya But you will get there in no time
  • AmandaGarcia9999
    AmandaGarcia9999 Posts: 134 Member
    SurfyPants wrote: »
    I'm 44 soon and I am in better shape than I was in my 20s because I'm no longer what is termed 'skinny-fat', I am stronger and healthier. I don't find things harder because my focus is better, I don't sweat the small things and I truely get that consistency is key to success whether you apply that to weightloss, fitness, health and/or general overall wellbeing.

Whats the best regimen when it comes to workout to not be skinny/fat
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    I find it much easier now at 52 than I did when I was younger. I'm smarter, have access to so much information via the internet, have more free time and don't feel the need to party or binge. I like feeling good way more than I liked drinking too much, eating too much and staying up late. Find a nice plan or routine that works for you now and carry it into your "older" age. Mindset is important...don't "think" that it's going to be harder. Think of yourself as making good choices and being healthy! You can do it!
  • Psalm1139
    Psalm1139 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm 31, 5'2, and 130 (ish) lbs. I also used to be skinny, but in the last 3-5 years I've packed on the pounds. At the beginning of the year I was at 138, and I've lost about 6 lbs since. I was 106 for a long time, then 112, but at some point I started eating more I guess, and became a housewife so I wasn't on my feet all the time like retail I'm not trying to lose quickly, just a couple pounds a month, because I want to lose it with a lifestyle I can maintain. I lost weight once before, but did it so quickly and with so much exercise/so few calories that it wasn't sustainable. I'm also not really aiming to lose weight so much as fit in my old size jeans and not look lumpy when I'm in my underpants, so basically lose body fat. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Honestly, this has more to do with it than anything. The difference in basal metabolism at 20 vs 30 is fairly minimal...it's that we tend to become less active as we get older.

I was the same way in my 20s...I didn't own a car and walked or biked everywhere...worked landscape construction in the summers and in a liquor packaging retail warehouse during the school year. In my free time I was out hiking or playing frisbee with the guys, etc.

At 30 I graduated and took a desk job working 12 hour days most days and 6 on Saturday...bought a car as I needed to commute, and my activity level plummeted and went from being able to just eat whatever, whenever and always lean to putting on weight.

As far as losing it goes, it wasn't too bad...just ate a bit less and got my butt moving again...I lost on average 1 Lb per week at age 38 for a total of 40 Lbs. Just takes some commitment and patience in the process.
  • jennajosephine
    jennajosephine Posts: 85 Member
    I'm turning 30 this month. This has already started to happen. I don't 'bounce back' as quickly as I did before. I have to meticulously watch everything I eat plus exercise much more frequently. It's worth it though.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member

You're in the right place. Yes you can do it.

By the way, if you're complaining about "after 30", what's going to happen "after 50" like some of us are??
  • Backcountry451
    Backcountry451 Posts: 10 Member
    This is also my first experience with social media, so I have no idea how to reply to someone directly. Thanks for all your comments!