6lbs from one cheat day? Really???

Options
Long story short:

Went to a wedding, thought I behaved myself pretty well, worked out that morning even, drank lots of water.

Had a sip of champagne, 1 beer, 1 glass of wine, and various other pot luck items.

I know there is no way I consumed 21,000 Calories in that day (6x3500) Id be surprised if I did 3500 calories for the day.

Please tell me there is a logical explanation for this... UGHHHH!

Regards,
Bruce

PS - Before you ask, I'm back to eating normal, My diary is public and the day was Saturday 8/6, I didn't log dinner because it was a pot luck luncheon and I had no real way of being accountable for it.

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    you're probably just retaining water from too much sodium....it should come off quickly. good luck!
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    anytime i have a free day i weigh more for 24-48 hours after then it goes away. as long as you are on track all of the other days it should not hurt you. most people who allow free days or meals will back me up on this that it really does not hurt you. what does hurt you is having an often free day or meal like more than one day per week
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Sodium is the devil and I am sure that is what it is. Pour water into your body all day :-)
  • skinnydaydreams
    Options
    Water weight ?
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There might have been alot of sodium in what you ate = Water weight.

Drink lots of water to flush it out of your system.

I doubt you did any long term damage.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's a really good chance that you're just retaining water. You've already started doing what you need to do by getting back on track. Maybe try drinking a little extra water the next few days and watch your high sodium foods and I'm sure most of that will come right back off.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Drink extra water today to help flush the sodium. It may take a few days but you should be fine.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    There's a good chance that the 6lbs isn't reliable. Like godroxmysox said, you may just be retaining water. Make sure to weigh yourself around the same time every day and take any clothes into account, and also any food you may have eaten prior to weighing yourself :)
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I agree its probably from the sodium. Spend the next few days REALLY flushing your body with water and you should be back to normal by wednesday!
  • GabriellaH99
    Options
    Your body weight can fluctuate up to 10 lbs depending on how you have been drinking your water, how much salt you've had (which will hold water) and more. Also, (and this is gross but...) your digestive system can sometimes have pounds of residual "stuff" that hasn't flushed out yet. If you ate differently than usual, your system may still be working on getting all of it out so it'll take some time to digest.

Bottom line, no you didn't gain 6 pounds in one day really. Try to avoid weighing in daily (don't know if that's what you're doing but just in case...) and go for an overall trend week over week. This is will help avoid the mental stress and keep you on a better track!

Keep up the great work and good luck!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Yep, probably sodium, so give it a day or two. Drink lots of water with real lemon juice in it and that will help get rid of excess water retention.
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Every Weekend this happens to me for about 2days then it goes.
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is water weight, period. I have had 5lb gains in one day, so it is cool, no big deal. It will take you 2-3 days of regular eating to lose it. It happens:)
    I hope you had fun at the wedding:)

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I hope you're all right... and bless you for some great logical explanations!
  • trimblt
    trimblt Posts: 14
    Options
    I find I always have water weight afterI have a couple alcohol drinks. Give it a few days and check again. I bet you'll find your down! Don't be discouraged!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    anytime i have a free day i weigh more for 24-48 hours after then it goes away. as long as you are on track all of the other days it should not hurt you. most people who allow free days or meals will back me up on this that it really does not hurt you. what does hurt you is having an often free day or meal like more than one day per week

me too, best way to do it , you will be fine :smile:
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    When I have a "cheat" day and eat around 3000 calories, my weight is a LOT more the next morning. You probably weighed when there was still food in your belly, and waste in your guts, water retention. All of these can add up big time!

If you eat late, and you're not hungry about 20-30 min after you wake up, then you ate too much the night before, and it's still digesting!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Its water retention most likely caused by high sodium. Give it 48 hours and that 6lbs will probably be all gone or almost all gone. Drink lots of water.

I had a fantastic fun weekend but it was full of bad food. I am up 4lbs as well. I expect by Tuesday it will be gone and I expect that my weekly weigh-in on Thursday will show a slight loss for the week overall.

So don't let it get you down!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Long story short:

Went to a wedding, thought I behaved myself pretty well, worked out that morning even, drank lots of water.

Had a sip of champagne, 1 beer, 1 glass of wine, and various other pot luck items.

I know there is no way I consumed 21,000 Calories in that day (6x3500) Id be surprised if I did 3500 calories for the day.

Please tell me there is a logical explanation for this... UGHHHH!

Regards,
    Bruce

The white devil (Weigh-in scale), should only ever be used as a reference to track weight loss, not something to be solely relied on.

Do you look like you gained 6 pounds in one day?, because if you did I think when you looked in the mirror, you would have had a rather shocking view and wouldn't need a scale to tell you that.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's a false gain- I gained 2 lb from Chinese food last night when all I had were pork dumplings- best choice? maybe not, but certainly not 7,000 calories worth :-)

Between sodium and the fact that "bad" foods are highly processed (and therefore your body needs more time to filter and digest them) I suggest waiting about 3-4 days after a 'splurge' to assess any potential gains from a night of excess.