OMG... I'm banning....

Options
SUBWAY! Ugh! My cabin is way way way out in the middle of nowhere (BFE) and the only "healthy" dinner options Saturday night was SUBWAY. Was it healthy??? NO. I thought I did pretty good not eating TOO much saturday, but all that sodium in the one sandwich and chips made me retain SOOOOOOOOO much water! I was five pounds heavier, and it had to be from the sodium in the Sub. Gross. I'm banning it! From now on, we are taking our dinners with us as well as snacks etc.

Replies

• cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    yeah, sodium can get you but at least it is a very temporary gain. Good plan, though to bring your dinner with you !
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Not all Subways subs are bad :) It definitely depends on what you put into it. Put lots of veggies and try to avoid chips if possible, or get the baked chips. I eat Subway regularly and still keep the weight off! :)
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    dont ban it... lol just easy up on what you take.. I go for a 6inch no chips and water... and your 300-400 cals :)
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ban it completely!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Yeah...Subway is terrible when it comes to sodium. So much for being healthy =(
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Not all Subways subs are bad :) It definitely depends on what you put into it. Put lots of veggies and try to avoid chips if possible, or get the baked chips. I eat Subway regularly and still keep the weight off! :)

I love baked chips! om nom nom.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I agree, Subway is one of my fast food go tos. I get the 6 in. turkey with spinach, tomato, onion, light mayo and vinegar (no oil). Also, no cheese. It's pretty tasty!
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Go for a six inch turkey on wheat veggies and no dressing. The dressing is what is the highest in sodium!
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Sodium is bad, but compared to what people would normally eat as fast food, man Subway is great! I agree with other posters, its all on what you put and take off of the sandwhich :)
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    I got the buffalo chicken with banana peppers, spinach, pickles,, tomatoes, and mustard. I ALWAYS get the baked chips. The fried chips hurt my tummy. :( I think most of the veggies are preserved with a good bit of sodium as well, though. I try to pack them on there anyway to get an extra veggie!

It is usually my go to fast food, but so is Wendy's chilli! It seems better to me!

At least, I didn't eat the FRIED chicken on a stick or tater logs or chicken strips or pizza sticks from the convenient store!
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on what kind of sandwich you get. If you go with any with processed meats, like bologna, salami, pepperoni or stuff like that, those are entirely too salty. If you get the fresh meat, like turkey breast, the roast beef, etc....or a veggie delite...you won't have all the sodium. Never get chips, even the baked ones...cause they are excessively high on salt.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    They do have healthy choices but the way it is advertised "it is the healthiest out there". There is alot of sodium in deli meat. Also, the bread is loaded with cals!! But you gotta do what you gotta do. Sometimes it is a blessing to live in Egypt, we have to drive at least 5-10 minutes to the nearest fast food and I really don't like any of them that much so it is not tempting but sometime I just crave it. It is a blessing b/c it really makes me think, do I really want to get in my car and get whatever. UGH such a hassle!! LOL
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'll do a small from subway every once in a while. Turkey on wheat with all veggies
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    They do have healthy choices but the way it is advertised "it is the healthiest out there". There is alot of sodium in deli meat. Also, the bread is loaded with cals!! But you gotta do what you gotta do. Sometimes it is a blessing to live in Egypt, we have to drive at least 5-10 minutes to the nearest fast food and I really don't like any of them that much so it is not tempting but sometime I just crave it. It is a blessing b/c it really makes me think, do I really want to get in my car and get whatever. UGH such a hassle!! LOL

So true! That's a waste of gas just to get a fast food fix!
  • SMarie1219
    Options

I agree, Subway is one of my fast food go tos. I get the 6 in. turkey with spinach, tomato, onion, light mayo and vinegar (no oil). Also, no cheese. It's pretty tasty!

That sounds yummy!!
  • bobisagirl
    bobisagirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As far as fast food goes, subway is definitely the best. I like to have a veggie delite wrap with honey mustard sauce (no salt, no cheese). Only around 250 calories and very tasty!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think Subway does have some healthy choices but you need to be careful. It can be high in sodium but I can never remember what I get each time but I always look at the nutrition flyer in the store and pick the one with the least calories and sodium. I only eat a 6 inch and never get any condiments. I try to stay away from the chips, since I eat very little bread that to have the 6" is pretty filling - chips are totally an impulse decision for me.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I always get Subs from the 'low fat sub' section of the menu. Still alot of sodium but not as much as the regular subs.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Subway is the BEST choice for fast food but I agree, If you are going to have it make sure it's planned into your day to watch out for the sodium.

A foot long ham in Canada is 1450mg in sodium but since I have < 900mg of sodium every single day I'd still be under the DRI. I'm newly Vegetarian/90% vegan so that sodium level is further cut in ½ for a veggie sub, even better!

Like everything, it's about planning.