How do you beat the cravings and hunger during dieting and exercising??

Options
I know cravings sometimes gets us all and a lot of us have our own way of dealing with them. So I ask, How do you handle your cravings? Another question on my mind, Working out tends to increase appetite making you even more hungry during dieting. How do you manage that?

Replies

• LeaMarie8031
    LeaMarie8031 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For anyone reading and answering, feel free to add me
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I know cravings sometimes gets us all and a lot of us have our own way of dealing with them. So I ask, How do you handle your cravings? Another question on my mind, Working out tends to increase appetite making you even more hungry during dieting. How do you manage that?

You shouldn't be so hungry that you want to binge on a weight loss plan. If you are truly hungry you may need to give yourself more calories. I just started working on my feet for part of the day and I've been so hungry. I decided to set my calorie goals a little higher at lightly active instead of lsedentary and it seems to be working.
    Even cravings to me says something is off nutritionally. I don't get a lot of them and try to get a more balanced diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you're starving yourself, you're dieting wrong. Make sure you've set your calorie target correctly, and hit that target every day, and eat back exercise calories. Some hunger is to be expected, but it should feel pretty similar regardless of whether you're losing, gaining or maintaining; the deficit is taken from your fat stores. Cravings can't be beaten, you have to learn to live with them.
  • LeaMarie8031
    Options
    Eating healthy after not caring is not an easy switch but I know it's for the better. I usually try to ignore my cravings but one day a week I give myself a small cheat and eat what I want within proper portions though and within my limits in order to settle them. The hunger is more difficult because I want to stay under my daily goals.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy after not caring is not an easy switch but I know it's for the better. I usually try to ignore my cravings but one day a week I give myself a small cheat and eat what I want within proper portions though and within my limits in order to settle them. The hunger is more difficult because I want to stay under my daily goals.

What is your calorie goal and how long have you been consuming it?

I find that the first week in a deficit is tricky and hunger is higher. Then I get used to it, or I just automatically adjust my eating to help with it. When I'm trying to lose weight there's always one time of the day when I'm slightly uncomfortable with hunger and I think that's okay. I get my diet soda and wait for my next meal. Others will have a small snack then.
  • LeaMarie8031
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

What is your calorie goal and how long have you been consuming it?

I find that the first week in a deficit is tricky and hunger is higher. Then I get used to it, or I just automatically adjust my eating to help with it. When I'm trying to lose weight there's always one time of the day when I'm slightly uncomfortable with hunger and I think that's okay. I get my diet soda and wait for my next meal. Others will have a small snack then.

My calorie goal is 2,180. By the end of the day, completing my diary, I have 600-900 calories left. Throughout the day I'm barely hungry at all. Most commonly for lunch and dinner I have either chicken or fish for good amount of protein so I'm full and satisfied when I complete my diary. However every night before bed I'm all of a sudden hungry.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you're using mfp you should be eating those exercise calories back. From your post I get the impression you're not.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned, if you're not using all of your calories, use them! (Do make sure you are using accurate logging practices and not eating more than you think, however.)

As to the evening situation, I found I benefited by pushing dinner back an hour (not possible for all families, I know) and going to bed before I get too hungry. I also sip on no or low-cal beverages in the evening.