Why is lifting heavier making me so hungry

Options
I'm 110 pounds and 4 foot 11, I'm eating 1850 calories a day 5 days a week and 750 calories 2x a week. I've started lifting heavier weights for a hour 6x a week and doing hiit 4 x a week and bike for a hour a day, but I'm so hungry since I've started lifting heavier and for longer. Why is this? Do I need more food? Thank you

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's fairly common. When I hammered the weights I was absolutely ravenous.
  • Hannahjane123456
    Hannahjane123456 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Does it pass eventually? It's just making it harder for me to lose weight really.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Does it pass eventually? It's just making it harder for me to lose weight really.

If this is early days still, you also may be retaining a good amount of water, which can mask fat loss. It took something like six weeks for my scale to drop the last time I changed up my workouts.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    My hunger was pretty intense while I was doing SL5X5. I lightened up and switched programs, and my appetite is back to normal. Get lots of sleep, protein, and water and don't ignore rest days.

Also, your calorie goals are drastically different . . . . are you doing IF? That + heavy lifting + lots of cardio might not be the greatest . . . you're a shorter/lighter person to begin with, but you might just need more food overall with you intense exercise schedule. Make sure your weekly net calories are averaging out to at least ~1200 per day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,762 Member
    Options

Is your goal to get to a certain pretty number that you're going to tattoo on your forehead for everyone to see.... OR... is your goal to lose fat and build muscle and be fit?

Be stronger, lose fat, and eat more sounds pretty good to me!
  • Hannahjane123456
    Hannahjane123456 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I want lose around 7 pounds, but also lose fat and build muscle
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You may need to eat 1850 calories 7x/wk. I eat more on heavy lifting days.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Your doing a lot of activity. You could easily eat at maintenance and gain muscle while losing fat. I don’t think it’s just the lifting making you hungry but all the cardio on top of it too. Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Because it does. I actually remember being more affected by it than I am now. And now I'm lifting relatively heavier weight. God...the day after deadlifts when I was new to it. I was a ravenous beast.

You could slow your loss down so you are more comfortable and able to perform. Decreasing cardio helps too.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Also, mess you this eating schedule. The fasting might night be working for you anymore. This week try even calories across the week, or lighter calories on a rest day, etc.