Which Activity Level are you?

Options
2»

Replies

• tyrownp
    tyrownp Posts: 13
    Options
    Well, I work at an office, so I set my activity level to Sedetary, then just seperately log my workout sessions. [:

It would be more accurate that way.

What she said...programmer at desk all day also
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Right,

Have just done the Fat2FitRadio thing and it's given me the following. I think this hows that my trainer is along the right lines? If I'm having say, 2235 cals a day - I shouldn't be eating back the exercise as well, yeah? I'm just getting myself into a tizzy here! lol

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1730
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1983
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2235
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2487
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2740
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OK, so this will differ based on weight and a few other factors, but I work out with a chest strap heart rate monitor. At 5'3" and 151 pounds, I can burn -- at the highest possible level of effort I can put in -- 600 calories in an hour. Four days a week, that adds in 2,400 calories PER WEEK, which is an extra 343 calories a day.

Your trainer is telling you to add in 700 calories a day to account for the four hours a week of exercise. I'm guessing because you're set at 1,400 calories a day, you weigh a little more than I do, but I still doubt highly that you're burning an extra 4,900 calories in four hours of exercise.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Remember, your trainer is probably not accounting for the 500-1000 calorie deficit that MFP gives you as your goal before exercise. Most people who are trained in sports nutrition don't use the 500-1000 calorie deficit. We're taught the 80% rule where you should eat a minimum of 80% of what you burn (BMR, activity, & exercise). So your trainer may have estimated your TDEE and then only have you a deficit of 20%. Or your trainer may not have given you a deficit at all because a lot of trainers focus more on calorie needs for sports performance, not for weight loss.

Here's an example of the way I was taught to do calorie estimates in my sports nutrition certifications. I'm basing it on a 100 kg (220 pound person) who is lightly active and has 30% body fat and burning 300 Calories in exercise daily.

100 kg - 30 kg body fat = 70 kg lean body mass
    70 kg lean body mass x 1 Calorie per hour x 24 hours = 1680 BMR (Should never eat below this number)
    1680 BMR x 1.4 activity factor (for lightly active) = 2352 RMR
    2352 + 300 Exercise Calories = 2652 TDEE (max calories that can be consumed on exercise days without gaining)
    2652 x 0.8 = 2122 Calories per day minimum.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Right,

Have just done the Fat2FitRadio thing and it's given me the following. I think this hows that my trainer is along the right lines? If I'm having say, 2235 cals a day - I shouldn't be eating back the exercise as well, yeah? I'm just getting myself into a tizzy here! lol

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1730
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1983
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2235
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2487
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2740

To answer your question, if your follow the approach of using the TDEE (Fat2Fit) approach, you will not eat your exercise calories. That is the number of calories you should eat every day regardless if you workout or not.