Any success with a plant based cleanse?

Options
Hi all. Long story short I am a thirty-six year old mom of two, newly divorced and about fifty pounds overweight for years.

I have had success with both paleo and weight watchers, losing thirty pounds with each years ago.

I love animal products, source clean and ethical as much as possible. I do not want to be a vegetarian.

That being said I don’t have a ton of money and tend to feed my kids meat lately while I just eat the sides, to save money.

Anyone ever have success with a plant based diet tonjumpmstart weight loss and then switching to a primal diet? How long would be optimal and what would you eat?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options
    Just eat fewer calories than you burn. It's that simple.

Enter your information into MFP.
    Select the amount you wish to lose each week.
    MFP will give you the number of calories to aim for.

Browse the grocery store for a variety of good tasting foods you like and that have staying power ... this might take a couple weeks to sort out.

And stick with it! :)
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have tried most things in the last eight years and what I realize is the only way weight loss will ever truly work and actually stick is if you choose a plan you can live with for the rest of your life...kinda like how you choose your mate.

You wouldn't just choose any ol' body to marry and spend the rest of your life with. Same goes for your diet. It needs to be something you will stick to forever or otherwise you will gain it back faster than you lost it (8 year experience).

I decided to go plant-based because I believe in it and want to eventually become vegan. I want to make a commitment to this lifestyle because I believe it will not only physically change me for the better, but mentally and spiritually and ethically as well.

Don't go plant-based if you think its going to give you fast results because it may give you fast results but if you go back to how you always ate it won't stick.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you want to save money, cook pinto bean chili. Or black bean tacos.
    Rice and beans: https://www.moneycrashers.com/easy-rice-beans-recipes/
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan (for ethical reasons). Eating plant based doesn't promote health or weight loss unless you follow the same principles as any other diet (i.e. not eating too much processed food, eating plenty of fruit and veg, not eating a surplus). I've been vegan since my teens and my weight has fluctuated the same way lots of people's does. The only benefit to weight loss WAS that my eating outside the home was restricted when places had less plant based options, so I couldn't impulsively snack like some people could. Nowadays there are so many options this doesn't apply anyway.

By all means incorporate more plant based food into your diet if you think it's not balanced at the moment. Obviously I would promote this...but from an ethical perspective not a weight loss one. Cleanses aren't a thing.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Restrictive diets, cleanses, "jumpstarts"... they're all temporary bandaids. As you've discovered, they don't keep the weight off.

Keeping it as simple as possible will make it more sustainable, and help you keep the weight off when you reach your goal. Weight loss is only a small part of the lifelong journey to health - maintenance is just as hard and requires just as much dedication.

Ditch the restrictive diets and cleanses and just focus on eating LESS. You can eat absolutely any food you want and lose weight, as long as you're at a calorie deficit. Make sure you ARE in a calorie deficit by tracking your calories accurately with a digital kitchen scale.

That's all there is to it. Set a modest calorie deficit, then fill your calorie goal with all the foods you enjoy.

Now... one thing to mention. You may find yourself more hungry sticking to the same foods that made you gain weight (especially high-calorie, low-nutrition foods like chips, cookies, junk, fast food, etc.). So you may want to find substitutes or slowly incorporate more low-calorie, high-volume foods into your diet (fresh fruit and veggies, lean proteins).

But you don't need to cut any food out of your diet. If you love cookies, work 1 or 2 cookies into your daily calorie allotment. Life's too short to give up tasty food.

Good luck!
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Long story short I am a thirty-six year old mom of two, newly divorced and about fifty pounds overweight for years.

I have had success with both paleo and weight watchers, losing thirty pounds with each years ago.

I love animal products, source clean and ethical as much as possible. I do not want to be a vegetarian.

That being said I don’t have a ton of money and tend to feed my kids meat lately while I just eat the sides, to save money.

Anyone ever have success with a plant based diet tonjumpmstart weight loss and then switching to a primal diet? How long would be optimal and what would you eat?

I combine a plant based diet with fish. Your colon loves the extra fiber. Lost weight, works for me.
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been entirely WFPB since January 7th and love it/! Have also lost 12lbs