Any Vegan Success Stories?

Options
Hi.

Are there any vegans out there who’ve done well trying to lose weight with this app? I’m looking for advice.

I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, whole grains. Also I have some bread/junk, but not much of that.

What are your meals like, and do you have any tasty vegan treats you can suggest?

Replies

• RandallK86
    RandallK86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Banana,
    I don't know if I would be considered a success story as I still have a long way to go on my weight loss journey. I have lost almost 60 pounds since September, 2017 using this app and I have another 70 pounds to go to reach my goal.

I've been vegan for almost four years. I used to follow the traditional vegan diet which is high carb, low fat, but I wasn't able to control my cravings when I restricted my calories and exercised. Late last year I switched to a low-carb, high fat vegan diet. The weight started to come off quickly and my cravings were very manageable and still are now.

I would say that although I had powerful cravings while eating high carb, low fat, I did feel better overall in terms of energy and mental clarity. Sometimes I find myself in sort of a fog while dieting the way I do now and my food choices are very limited, but it is worth it to me. I will switch back to a high carb lifestyle once I have achieved my weight loss goal. You need to find what works for you and your body to lose the weight. This app is great and has worked for a lot of people. I suggest you start tracking your calories and join a group for support and advice.

Peace
  • BananaForest
    BananaForest Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @RandallK86 thank you!

60lbs lost! That’s amazing. Congratulations!

Well, I hope counting calories is enough for weight loss. I would like to keep having plenty of fruit and whole grains. Oatmeal with bananas is one of my all time favorite meals. But I guess I should try moderate my fruit intake overall.

I just hate restrictions with food. I love to eat. A lot! Lol

Thanks again for replying. :)
  • numbersplusword
    numbersplusword Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I’ve lost over 60 pounds so far and I have about 30ish to go. This app has helped me to really look at the foods I’m eating, their nutritional values, and how they can help or hurt my body. I wouldn’t worry about eating too much fruit unless you’re diabetic or worried about your blood sugar. Just make sure that you’re getting the right nutrients and following your calorie goals and don’t stress about the rest.

As for vegan treats I’m really into dessert hummuses recently. Like cookie dough or brownie batter. And eating that with either fruit or graham crackers.
  • BananaForest
    Options
    Whoa! Dessert hummus sounds awesome. As do graham crackers. Thanks @numbersplusword! :)
    And congrats on your success!
  • BananaForest
    Options
    @notakumquat that issue with your cat and the carrots is so funny and adorable. Thank you for sharing your experience! Yet another great success, 90lbs lost is quite the achievement!

Thanks for your input! I think I’ll probably end up kind of eating the same foods over and over, which suits me just fine. I, too, am not much a breakfast person. I’m not generally hungry till maybe 11 or noon; the mornings are generally fueled by coffee and low calorie almond milk. :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over a decade now... started out at over 300 lbs... no photos because self hate... no mfp because I didn't start until much later... but here's some comparison photos from what I do have.

5vra35jv6wna.jpg
  • BananaForest
    Options
    @BecomingBane well that’s a great success! Thank you for sharing with me. I definitely have hope now. :)
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi there, I've been a vegan for almost 5 years and I'm quite the foodie. I'm here to say you can enjoy everything and lose weight, I'm down 85 lbs. Don't get sucked into the keto diet or super low carb, you can if you want to but really, listen to your body and eat what makes you feel good. To lose weight you need to track calories and stay within your mfp limit. Simple. I have realized that I am a volume eater, I like feeling full. So, I love salads and make a big salad bowl for my dinner, I will put hot veggies in it, hummus, pumpkin seeds, avocado, whatever I have. It's filling and low cal, that's just works for me. I have avocado every day, I believe in these good fats and it helps feeling satiated. My rice/grains tend to be at lunch and I have oatmeal or a smoothie for breakfast. I prefer to have three substantial meals instead of smaller meals with snacks. It's just what works for me. I exercise 3-4x per week, nothing crazy. 45 min bootcamp and hot yoga. Once I started limiting booze and Indian take-out I saw results after plateauing for a year. Eat what you like, just track it :) I've never felt better in my life since going vegan.
  • BananaForest
    Options
    @leecha2014 that’s exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you! I’m a volume eater also and it’s hard to feel satisfied with my mfp calorie limit but I’m hoping I can make it work. I ride my bike about an hour a day (to and from work) about 3-4 Days a week. I have been at this weight for a couple years now, so hopefully just cutting some calories down does the trick! Your feedback really makes sense to me. Thank you so much! :)
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I went plant based whole foods a month ago on the 7th and feel awesome!
  • BananaForest
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @blackcatfitness that is awesome!!
    I am all about that plant based life :)
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I lost about 30lbs using mfp about seven years ago... but I'm back at it as I've slowly gained it all back! I'm vegan, and also gluten-free (not gf by choice).

Hmm I wrote s big post but somehow the rest was deleted. Feel free to add me, my diary is open.
  • BananaForest
    Options
    @Talazws I know what gaining back weight is like. I’ve done it probably 5 or so times (~20-30lbs up and down).

I hope that it’s possible to lose it and keep it off!
    Best of luck to us! :)
  • alviaud
    alviaud Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Started vegan 21st Nov. 2017. Lost 5.4 kilos. My goal is 14. No alcohol, no exercise. I'm allergic to the latter >:) . New tastes, new flavours, not hungry at all. Fabulous.
    How do I get to post a photo?
  • carrotchomper
    carrotchomper Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan 13 years (lucky for me!) and initially lost the 25lbs I needed to in 2012. I've since intentionally put a few lbs on in muscle. I use this app to make sure I get enough protein- I'm a keen club runner and want to fuel myself properly. I snack on oatcakes and houmous, dried fruit and fruit when I'm being good! I don't drink now and limit caffeine as it stops iron absorption which was an issue for me.

You're very welcome to add me
  • BananaForest
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @alviaud and @carrotchomper that’s awesome!
    Sounds like going vegan was enough for both of you to start getting results and seeing changes. That’s really great! I went vegan back in October and, while it’s been great, I haven’t really lost any weight as a result. Now that I think I want to lose weight, I’m gonna count calories as well.
    :)
  • readytoleave6393
    Options
    Vegans and Vegetarians with open food diaries add me!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!