Working out after pnemonia

Options
I am overcoming pnemonia but I am feeling so tired still. I think in a few days I want to get back at the gym and start building my breathing and muscles back up. Anyone have any advice on what I should start with? Unfortunately I haven't been to the gym since June last year since I've been hit with a couple of different medical issues at once and now pnemonia.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just do something easy. Your initial goal is mobilization, not fitness. Pick a simple activity like walking, put it at a workload that gets your heart rate to 100-110 or to a point of just noticeable increase in breathing. Do it for 15-20 min.

If you want to do any lifting, same thing. Pick super-easy weights, just heavy enough that you feel the muscles working. Pick 6-8 exercises that work major muscle groups, 2 sets of 10-12.

At the end you should feel invigorated, but you should also feel like you could have done more. Enjoy it.

While it can be discouraging to feel like you are starting over, starting back after a layoff is more like play time. There's no pressure because anything you do will start the process of improvement.
  • becaholic
    becaholic Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Like azdak, I was going to suggest walking and light lifting. I had a hard time coming back from the flu. Take breaks when needed. Ease back into your routine gradually.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Pneumonia is nothing to fool around with. Wait until you are fully healed to start exercising unless you want to have a relapse.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start! Pace yourself. Get well soon.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Don’t expect to do very much at first. Even when you feel better, you’ll likely find that your aerobic capacity will take longer to recover. It is really surprising how we can still be recuperating even when we feel well again. I had pneumonia once in college and it was not a short recovery process. Even now after a cold or flu, it takes me at least a week of no symptoms before I’m able to do my usual workout.

Walk short distances slowly. Rest when you’re tired. Don’t push yourself too hard.