How many calories do I really need? Special circumstances~

Options
Due to a unique personal problem, I am extremely inactive and a bit of a hermit. I typically leave the house once a week for a couple of hours, and frequently take just 100-300 steps per day. I’m less than sedentary, which is why I’m wondering if I should listen to all the people saying “1200 calories per day is too low”...

I’m 23 year old female, 5’5”, and approximately 160-170 lbs. I set my calorie goal to 1200 because it is the lowest allowed. I think my extreme inactivity probably means I’m barely at a deficit, if any. My goal weight is around 130-140 lbs.

And I just want to say that I am slowly trying to increase my activity levels, even most beginner exercise programs are too strenuous for me because I am used to very little movement and absolutely no exercise. I have been practicing stretching/simple forms of yoga by myself for about 30 minutes 2-3 times a week but am concerned about posture and proper movements because I experience a lot of back and neck pain.

What are your opinions? Is 1200 appropriate for me?

Replies

• speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Your BMR will still be above 1200 @ 5'5 and 160lbs. You'll still lose weight. Your deficit will be smaller than someone more active, but that's fine, good things come to those who wait and all that. If you're very inactive, then you don't want a big deficit anyway, because you're at increased risk of muscle wastage. A slow and steady decrease whilst trying to incorperate what activity/movement you can is probably best.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    agree with the others, 1200 sounds fine.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think the 1200 isn't just recommended not to lose weight too fast, but to make sure you're not missing out on vitamins/minerals that you need.

Pain is not good - especially sharp pain! Maybe yoga is a little much at the moment - you could try incorporating a little more walking around the house/household tasks/hobbies first? Or you could try chair yoga, that might be better while you figure out the posture stuff.
  • cydneyen
    cydneyen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I don't know your financial situation or whether you have access to a gym, but I went to a yoga class and found it very helpful to ask the instructor to show me proper form. It was an hour class, but when I was starting I would leave the class after about 15 minutes. That helped me build stamina. My husband also joined the class. He has neck and back issues, too, and would just avoid doing anything that would cause him pain. If you encounter a move that hurts you, by all means stop doing that position! It sounds like it is difficult for you to leave the house, but if that is due to an anxiety issue, I would recommend a trip to a doctor to address that. Also, your doctor could evaluate whether 1200 calories a day is an appropriate calorie intake level for you. Best of luck!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    cydneyen wrote: »
    Due to a unique personal problem, I am extremely inactive and a bit of a hermit. I typically leave the house once a week for a couple of hours, and frequently take just 100-300 steps per day. I’m less than sedentary, which is why I’m wondering if I should listen to all the people saying “1200 calories per day is too low”...

I’m 23 year old female, 5’5”, and approximately 160-170 lbs. I set my calorie goal to 1200 because it is the lowest allowed. I think my extreme inactivity probably means I’m barely at a deficit, if any. My goal weight is around 130-140 lbs.

And I just want to say that I am slowly trying to increase my activity levels, even most beginner exercise programs are too strenuous for me because I am used to very little movement and absolutely no exercise. I have been practicing stretching/simple forms of yoga by myself for about 30 minutes 2-3 times a week but am concerned about posture and proper movements because I experience a lot of back and neck pain.

What are your opinions? Is 1200 appropriate for me?

Have you asked your dr?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    1200 is appropriate if you want to lose weight, because you will.

You may, because I don't know for sure, may experience weight loss more rapid than you hope for. If you are losing more than 1% of your body weight per week, that's too much and you should raise your calorie goal by a small amount.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Leslie Sansone walking videos for an intro to more activity? She has several 1 mile videos on YouTube that you could try out.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think 1200 calories per day is fine for you. Start there, and adjust as necessary. Just make sure you are logging everything, and consider investing in a food scale if you don't already have one.

The key for you will be finding exercises that work for you...even if it's just walking. Since you are not lifting weights or doing intense cardio, you may want to consider getting one of those Fitbits that tracks your steps and just challenging yourself to walk more, even if its just around the house.

If the yoga is causing you significant pain, you may want to do something else instead. Maybe a traditional stretching program might be better for you.

Also, if exercising with weights is too much, try doing the same motions without weights, and slowly add resistance as you are ready. You can get very light dumbells from Walmart in the 2lb range for cheap.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi cydneyen, I am in much the same position but over 60 years older than you. I expect you will be taking a doctor and/or physiotherapists advice about your movement. About your calories, you and I are both advised to have 1200 per day. So far I have lost 35lbs slowly but surely and expect you will be able to do the same. Good luck. :)
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Walking around your living space might be a more gentle solution than yoga. Or look up some chair yoga on youtube. If you can set up two places to sit and walk from one to the next as tolerated. As well gentle chair yoga might be a better fit than trying to do a general 30 minute yoga practice if you are coming from a completely sedentary place.
    1200 calories should still put you at a deficit, but I would see if you can consult a medical professional, because depending on what is keeping you from being able to move your body, it is likely very important to your health that you are eating a nutritionally sound balanced diet.