Medication causing weight gain

Options
I recently started taking Seroquel XR and I am gaining so much weight from it! I am putting my food down and sticking to my 1200 calories a day. But, even when I wasnt tracking, I was maybe consuming 2500 calories max a day. I have gained almost 10lbs in about a month and a halfs time! I feel horrible!

Does anyone have any advice to combat weight gain with medication?? I feel like a losing battle!

Replies

• jeepwidow01
    Options
    Have you talked to your dr about it to see if there is an alternative you could use instead? A couple of times I have taken different medications (short term) that caused me to gain weight. After stopping them, the weight came off.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I gained my 50 lb while on Zoloft. I counted calories and still couldn't lose weight even a few months after stopping the medication... The best thing to do, imo, is ask your doctor to change medications to see if that helps...
  • heather3879
    heather3879 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience on a medication for OCD. I recently came off the medication and started working on losing weight. While I was on the med, I literally could not lose the weight, no matter how much I exercised, and I was eating right. However, that was the only medication that helped me, so I had to stick to it. Are there other options for treatment you could discuss with your doctor?
  • mishasel
    Options
    This is a really great medication if you need to take it. One thing that I have heard is not to eat in the evening, this will cause you to gain weight quicker with this medication. Keep on watching your calories and exercising. It takes time for your body to adjust, this med is know for its side effect of weight gain. I work with clients on it and they are able to maintain there normal weight with watching what they eat. It takes a bit of effort but, you can do it. Don't go off your medication unless your doctor agrees.
  • squeak1989
    Options
    I've been through both a mitazipine and a seroquel weight gain. You could ask to switch medications but most of the other drugs in the same class as seroquel have the same weight gain.

From what I remember seroquel can effect your glucose metabolism making you crave more food - I experienced big carbohydrate binges, but also that they have an effect on slowing your metabolism.

You don't seem to be giving into the cravings anymore but if the medication is slowing your metabolism then you are going to have to work harder to maintain or lose weight. It was suggested that I do things that were often recommender to increase or prevent slowing of your metabolic rate like daily morning exercise, and not just eat the right amount of calories but a balanced heart healthy low-fat diet of vegetables, fruit, nuts and lean meats.

Squeak
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i feel ya. i am on an increased dose of progesterone and gained 3 inches on my waist overnight. literally OVERNIGHT!!! talk about frustrating! however, i know it is just temporary. do you have an end date for your medication?
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! wow.. that was fast responses. The end result is more important to me right now. I take the meds and I am able to not be a mommy monster! I have two small kiddos and i want to be able to enjoy what little time I get (working 40 hrs) with them. So I am trying not to mess with the medications (seroquel and pristiq) because it seems to be a good combo for me.

I had not heard about not eating more in the morning... what I have noticed is if I eat a bigger lunch, I am not as hungry at night. I have had major carb cravings and binges lately. anything, sweet or savory, doesnt matter, if its carbs its in my mouth. lol I am trying to get that under control as well.

A friend has recently lost 14lbs by doing juice fasts... anyone tried that?