MyFitnessPal Goals for a Keto Diet

Options
How do I adjust my goals on MyFitnessPal to fit a Keto Diet? I changed them to 20-30-50 but that is percentage of daily intake. I'm not sure that is how to do it, but I do know, it hasn't been working. I really need Keto help.

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    cajymirba wrote: »
    How do I adjust my goals on MyFitnessPal to fit a Keto Diet? I changed them to 20-30-50 but that is percentage of daily intake. I'm not sure that is how to do it, but I do know, it hasn't been working. I really need Keto help.

Why do you need keto is the question I ask you? Not judging, I am just curious of your answer.
  • cajymirba
    cajymirba Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting for over 50 years. I have tried every diet out there, succeeded for a while, and failed every time. Keto is supposed to be, not a diet, but a new way of life, and I need that. If I continue to do what I have always done, I will always get what I have always gotten. High fat is NOT something I have ever tried, and I know it has been successful for others, so I am trying it. I am trying to open my mind, as well as lose some damn weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Keto will only work if you stay within your calorie goals, just like any other diet. Some people find all the fat in a keto diet more satiating, so it works for them - but it still all comes down to calories in < calories out.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have been dieting for over 50 years. I have tried every diet out there, succeeded for a while, and failed every time. Keto is supposed to be, not a diet, but a new way of life, and I need that. If I continue to do what I have always done, I will always get what I have always gotten. High fat is NOT something I have ever tried, and I know it has been successful for others, so I am trying it. I am trying to open my mind, as well as lose some damn weight.

I don't necessarily agree with "keto being a new way of life", I think you have simply been wooed by it from people who have done keto just like other people claiming Intermittent Fasting to be amazing and whatever diet is out there. Just remember, keto does not guarantee weight loss, being in a caloric deficit does. If you eat over your maintenance on a keto diet (which can happen), you will not lose weight. However with that said, if it works for you, that's good news, but just a reminder that keto on it's own as a diet does not guarantee anything and it isn't for everyone either. A diet is only a tool that hopefully one can enjoy and stick with to help out with their goals. I wish you luck and I hope for you that it does help you in your weight loss journey.
  • cajymirba
    cajymirba Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand that I need to curb my calories as well. I have been sticking to the caloric goal set in MyFitnessPal, but I like the fact that the higher fat helps curb your appetite. I just don't know how to set my goals in the program to reflect the lower protein/higher fat/really low carbgoals, but thanks for your input
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I understand that I need to curb my calories as well. I have been sticking to the caloric goal set in MyFitnessPal, but I like the fact that the higher fat helps curb your appetite. I just don't know how to set my goals in the program to reflect the lower protein/higher fat/really low carbgoals, but thanks for your input

From the Support section of MFP: http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/12035-can-i-customize-my-nutritional-goals-
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing keto since the first of the year, and I’ve given up trying to make the MFP macro goals fit. What I have done is change the display so that carbohydrates appear right before fiber, making it really easy to subtract and see my net carbs. Multiply those times 4 and compare them to your total calorie intake; you want the result to be between 5-10% of your total calories. If they’re not, just make adjustments in your next meal or snack.

It’s not for everyone, but doing keto actually has changed the way I look at and think about food so far. I’ll probably switch to just low-carb once I’m at my goal weight, but this has been a really eye-opening experience for me. If you want to try and you don’t have any contraindications (ask your doctor) why not?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

From the Support section of MFP: http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/12035-can-i-customize-my-nutritional-goals-

That's a good place to look.

OP, before you set macros though, consider NOT going lower protein to accommodate higher fat. Moderate to higher protein is most beneficial to weight loss because it often increases satiety, has a thermogenic effect, and helps you to preserve lean mass while losing.

High protein (over 200+ g) may lower your level of ketones a bit but that's okay unless you need high ketones for a medical reason. High ketones does not equal greater weight loss, especially at the expense of protein. I suggest keeping protein moderately high - over 100g is probably best. Usually over 25% depending on your calorie level.

Good luck!